Two questions regarding the GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mronen, Dec 29, 2013.

1. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Hi,

I finally got my GX7, but it will probably take a short while to be really comfortable with it. At the moment I miss two indications:

With the M.Zuiko 12 - 50mm lens I couldn't find any indication of the current zoom position. (With the Olympus EM-5 there is an indication in the upper right corner of the screen.) The 12 - 50mm lens has no external moving parts and you can't determine the zoom position just by looking at it.

The second indication I miss is 'Shutter Delay'. Only after shooting I find out the delay was on, and I blotched the shot.

Thanks,
    Moshe

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Pany bodies don't show the focal length - Oly do. I find this to be a bit of a drag, but OTOH, most zooms are well enough marked on the barrel to get a pretty good idea of where you are, if not as precise as the noted focal length in the Oly LCD/EVF. Haven't had experience with the shutter delay, so can't comment...

-Ray

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    By "Shutter Delay" do you mean the self-timer? If so, the timer mode should be displayed as shown on page 335 of the "advanced" GX7 manual. It's described on page 186. IIRC I do see the indicator as described, but I am 200 miles from my GX7 so I can't verify this.

Re focal length I am curious, Moshe and Ray: How do you use this information/why do you care? Thinking back even to film days I cannot recall ever looking to see what focal length a zoom was set to. Once in a great while I will check an EXIF to see what I used, but I just zoom for the composition I want and don't worry about numbers. For things like portraits, I choose the camera-to-subject distance I want -- so again a zoom number is superfluous. What am I missing?

4. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    In my GX1 the delayed shutter setting is in the self timer menu. It's probably there in the GX7 too.

5. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies!

I like to know the zoom position when I look through the viewfinder or monitor, to know if I still have room to zoom in or out. By looking at the 12-50mm lens you do not know where you are on the zoom scale, you must try and see if you are at one end or the other..

By 'delay' I mean the delay between shutter release press and the actual shot (Rec menu/Shutter Delay), not the Self Timer. In Olympus it's indicated by a diamond near the frame icon.

Moshe

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Interesting. I read the manual but didn't even remember that option. I have used self-timers for years to minimize upset when shooting long exposures from a tripod, but now with the Panny smartphone app able to trigger the GX7 shutter I am going to try using that method instead.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The zoom position is displayed only with Panasonic power zoom lenses.

Shutter delay - no. You will only lose one shot though ;) ... the screen goes black and the red 'not ready' light flashes during the delay.

Personally I tend to shoot with a pretty clean screen and minimise my distractions from the image.

8. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I'm curious, what do people use shutter delay for? Given that it's somewhat buried in the settings, I don't understand using it instead of the self timer which is mapped to a button. Sure, there are different timing choices with shutter delay but I don't know of a situation when 1, 4 or 8 seconds would work but 2 or 10 seconds would be unsuitable.

9. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    It's to be used to eliminate shutter shock.

10. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    So the mechanical first curtain opens, then the delay, then an electronic first curtain and mechanical second curtain? Is the delay in addition to the self timer (I use the 2-second timer when working off a tripod)?