Two Olympus Lenses Coming Soon: 12mm f/2 Pro Grade Lens and a Portrait Lens?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 16, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    According to Digicam-info via 43 Rumors, we can expect to soon see a "pro" grade Olympus 12mm f/2 lens, rumored to be already in production and likely to be announced in June. This lens has been heavily rumored for some time now, ever since the Olympus roadmap was revealed to have a lens between 10mm and 15mm slated for release in the spring of 2011.

There has been quite a bit of demand for a fast, high-performance, ultrawide prime. Olympus has a proud heritage of producing high performance primes in this category, so I don't expect them to disappoint us with the new lens.

Also rumored to be coming soon from Olympus is a "high quality" portrait lens. That is the lens category which, in my opinion, remains the most prominent gap in the Micro 4/3 system, and I sorely hope that the rumor is true!

Early this year at CP+, Olympus showed us a concept high-end lens which was to be released "later this year" to commemorate 75 years of the Zuiko brand:

5727178162_e439e0619d_m. 5726620469_30fd0555a4_m.

Does that look like a 12mm f/2, a portrait lens, or something else?

If anyone has more information, let us know!

Rumor Grade of Evidence: B

A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

• Like Like x 7
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Let's hope it's true, because Olympus had a spotless track record in the mid-wide range too before they got out of their minds and released the deceiving and poorly performing 17/2.8.

Cheers,

3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Go for it Olympus! You CAN do it..... I am an Oly user since 1976 and I'm sure good glass will come in the end to the patient faithful ( or should that be faithful patient ?).
    M

4. slapula

slapula New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I kinda wish this 12mm was a pancake but whatever. I'm just glad to see more quality m4/3 lenses on the way. :smile:

5. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    ".... and I sorely hope that the rumor is true!"

Freudian slip ? :wink:

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I would sacrifice an animal (cracker) to make this true!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Vey interesting news. I expect it to cost more than the 14/2.5, but I hope not too much more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Assuming it performs to the required standard, I'd buy a 12mm f2 in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't particularly care if the m4/3 primes aren't pancakes, as long as they perform. In fact I'd rather them be a bit bigger to improve the handling of the camera/lens. As for them being too big, unless MC Hammer pants come back into fashion I don't exactly have a pocket big enough to fit an m4/3 camera in anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    They always put the picture of the mock up out with every rumour. That sure doesn't look like a 12mm (even if it's not a pancake) to me.

Gordon

11. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I would love a wide-angle (and fast) like the 12mm...looking forward to reality.

12. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    That would be perfect* lens for me**.

*in a realistic world
    **ideally I would want a 1-1000mm f0.5 lens which is tack sharp with perfect IQ for a 1000GigaPixel camera that all fits in my pocket with room for my wallet which would be quite full because the lens and camera only cost me $20 and I could have it all as of yesterday... Sigh

• Like Like x 1
  13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    No doubt, but the 9-18 doesn't look like a 9-18 zoom either! It doesn't matter much what it looks like, so long as it performs and is not too big (or vastly expensive).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks for the rumor, Amin.

If Olympus brings out these two, Panasonic gives us the 25/1.4, and one of them does a telephoto (ideally 2: an 85/1.8 and a 200/4, but I'd settle for a 135/2.8), I'm joining you and going zoom-free :)

15. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

I would like to see the concept lens turn out to be either a 42mm f2 (85 ish) or 50mm f2 (100 ) lens. That would be about perfect for a portrait lens. I would be suprised to see anything faster than f2....

• Like Like x 1
  16. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    :2thumbs: Exactly --and I believe that the laws of physics will be overturned and something like this really will happen one day though perhaps not in my lifetime.

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I hope it's a quality 12 pancake just because I want a very compact system. However, I won't be a deal breaker exactly if the 12 is at least as good as the 20 optically. I don't have the 14 because I find I would like to go wider if I were to get a prime.

But it all boils down to cost. Personally, I'd like to spend a $1000, and get a 12/2.8 and 40/1.4 OIS =) Don't need a 12/2, heh.

18. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    The mock-up image looks so Star Trekky!

Beam me up, Scotty! I want one!

19. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I think if I'm going to pay $1000 for a 12mm it better be an f2, or optically spectacular. (comparing to sub $1k for a cv Nokton 25 0.95! and I don't rate autofocus to be worth that much!)

I eagerly await this lens but I won't sell off my 9-18 just yet!

20. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    This design carries further the E-P2 "retro" looks. It's meant to be reminiscent of classic 50mm collapsible lenses. It reminds me of another recent nostalgia lens, which also sports collapsible looks with a fixed mount: the nickel-finish CV Heliar 50/2.

The length would fit a 42 to 50mm lens, but the front element hardly f/1.4. Say 42/1.7 to 50/2.0?

This project can't much relate to a 12/2:
    1. a prime wide-angle doesn't need to be this bulky nowadays, especially on a mirrorless camera
    2. For such FOV, their front element is usually much flatter (again for prime lenses, not extreme zooms...)
    3. the front element is too deeply recessed, any filter would automatically vignette.
    P.S. You couldn't filter this lens anyway: it has no filter thread... Talking of dummies, this sure is one! :doh: