TWO New Olympus Lens Patents

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phocal, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Olympus patents a crazy cool 300-500mm f/2.8-4.0 MFT lens! - 43 Rumors

It looks Olympus has been listening to those of you who have been complaining about the heavy constant ƒ2.8 zooms and want something closer to ƒ4.0. They also have been listening to those of use who want more reach at fast apertures for sports and wildlife.

1 - 300-500mm ƒ2.8-4.0 :bravo-009:
    2 - 200-300mm ƒ2.8-4.0 :hmmm:

That 300-500 would be a dream lens for me. That would honestly get me to stop lusting over a Metabones and the Canon 200-400 ƒ4.0 (the one with the internal 1.4x extender). Yes, it would be heavy........but damn...........that would make such an amazing wildlife lens for those times I really needed 1000mm of reach (1400mm with the MC-14). It would not be a walk around all day lens like I use my 150/2, but in the kayak or a hide it would be so wonderful.

I know patents don't always come to fruition, but one can hope and dream that it one day could be in their hands.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do they mention size and weight? Canon's 200-400 f4 is MASSIVE, and this is 25% longer with an f2.8 wide end. It would have to be like 12lbs and 18" long, wouldn't it?

Also, $11000 for the Canon. What would this cost?

Never a bad thing to have more options though.
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, just look at the size/weight of the 4/3 Olympus 300/2.8. And that's only a prime lens, not even a zoom that adds an extra 400mm of equivalent focal length while only losing 1 stop of light.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if either lens ever sees the light of day. I also agree that the 200-300 lens doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think if Olympus really want a unique lens, make a 100-300 f/2.8-4.0 that can accept the MC-14 teleconverter.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    It would be a huge lens, but you can't really have long/fast/small....the physics just don't work out. The Canon is 14" long and weighs 8lbs and Olympus could probably get close to that, maybe a few inches longer and a little heavier. Had this convo with someone else who pointed out that the opening size of a 500mm ƒ4 is larger then what you need for 300mm ƒ2.8 when I mentioned I would really prefer constant ƒ4.0 to keep weight down. My argument was that they could probably save some weight in glass to not have the 300/2.8 but I really don't know that much about lens design. I am thinking the weight savings would probably be small (less then 1lbs or so) so why not throw a bone to the short end.

Price? Yes, it would be expensive.

I feel there is a chance because if they are really trying to convert Pro sports shooters and the EM1mk2 is really what they have promised when it comes to CAF/Tracking a lens like this could really be a game changer. Providing that kind of reach for a camera that is good at CAF/Tracking with a fast aperture to keep ISO down (which for me is a big deal for wildlife photography, don't like going above 800 because it starts to kill feather/fur detail after that) while keeping shutter speeds high is something that can't be touched by anything else. At these extreme telephoto ranges (600-1000) DoF is really a non issue when comparing to FF and this would bring the 2 stop ISO FF has over µ4/3 pretty much even if maybe not even a bit ahead of FF (not much available for FF in the 1000mm area without using a TC and moving to ƒ5.6 or higher).

The SHG lenses are so large and heavy because Olympus opted to do as much correction optically as possible, unlike the current lenses that rely more on software correction. Going the software route allows for lighter lenses because they have less glass. It's also why the SHG lenses are still desired, their IQ surpasses the current Pro lenses. You use the 400mm equivalent focal length to make it seem like the rumored lens is going to be really huge compared to the already large 300/2.8. It is only a 200mm increase in actual physical size, which really is not that much bigger. The 300/4 is only 227mm long so they could probably do the zoom at maybe 400mm long, which is not all that large (the Canon is at 366mm).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I am not sure we are in a time when Olympus can justify the design, sale, and manufacture of a 10+ lb, $10,000 lens. If such a time ever existed.

It's a nice dream, but I would be truly shocked if it were to ever come to pass.

This lens is the closest thing in the world that currently exists, albeit with a constant f2.8 aperture:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Could be an awesome lens. More important to me for the short-term though is the suggestion that the em1,mk2 might be a truly spectacular step forward because it would have to be for the marketing plan to include lenses like these. Otherwise the body doesn't live up to the lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    That is what I am hoping. With the large 40-150 and 300 PRO lenses I would like something with better handling, longer battery life, etc. It really needs to increase gap between itself and the E-M5.
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The original EM1 already did that and is the reason I made the switch to Olympus. Without PDAF, the EM5 (original and mk2) is useless for action photography. What the EM1mk 1 needs to do is close the gap on the D5/00 if they want to attract pro sports shooters. They don't have to be as good but they do need to get close with the mk3 completing the chase with DSLR in respects to CAF/Tracking.