TWO new lenses this week

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by juliedanurse, Feb 15, 2012.

1. juliedanurse

juliedanurse Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    I've been trying to decide which lens to add to my gear, the Pan 20 or the Oly 45. Solved the problem, bought both!! :eek:
    Have been playing with the Oly this evening, the Pan won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon. Good news is I'm off work for the next 2 days, ha!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    good for you. enjoy!
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

welcome to the user group/cult, by the way!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Not. Good. Reading. This. Post. must. Buy. Only. One.
  5. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome complete. Resistance is futile.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Helluva 2 lens purchase! :eek: :biggrin:
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How many photos you think you can take in two days off? ;)
  8. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    I'm with ned. Suprise us.

Ps those lenses are amazing and I don't own either :-( give me your job
  9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Good combo - packs a nice one-two punch! :biggrin:
  10. juliedanurse

Feb 10, 2012
  11. juliedanurse

Feb 10, 2012
    Let me put it this way.... I was playing with light and exposure this week before acquiring these babies and in the course of an hour, with my grandbaby as a model, I shot 525 exposures. I bet I can do some serious damage in 2 days :redface:
  12. juliedanurse

Feb 10, 2012
    Here's the first one... grandbaby had a prior engagement this evening so she's not available to model, so the cat will have to do. I'm sure he's saying something like "Woman! I warned you... get that camera outta my face".
    This was taken in really low room light with the Oly 45 wide open.
    Mr. Attitude by juliedanurse, on Flickr
  13. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Those two lens should have been the first two ;)
  14. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    On a slightly different but not entirely unrelated topic: I'll probably be getting new lenses for my GX1 (I currently have the dual kit: 14mm and 14-42mm) by March or April. I'm already set on getting this Oly 45. Should I also get the 20mm pancake or the PL25? I know the 25 is much more expensive but it's not really an issue. It would only push purchase date by a month or so (lol), but is it really worth the premium??

On-topic: I'm extremely envious. :O
  15. juliedanurse

Feb 10, 2012
    No doubt! I bought the Oly OM 50/f1.4 with an adapter in January (lens was under $100, adapter was $50 more) thinking that would be a good, and less expensive, substitute for the Oly 45. While that OM is a nice lens, it's MF and definitely not for any quick shooting and my usual subjects seem to move pretty fast. I am REALLY happy I surrendered to the 45! I'm positive I'll be just as happy with the 20, but it won't be delivered for another 15 hours :frown:
  16. juliedanurse

Feb 10, 2012
    I envy your GX1 !!
  17. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Good combination - I've had the 20 and 45 a while. I initially overlooked the 20 because the 45 was just fantastic. Now I'm using the 20 a lot more - and loving it - it's also fabulous. For me the pancake design wins.
  18. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    great len's i have the 20 and just ordered the 45 it comes tommorrow :biggrin: cant wait for the weekend 4 days off :thumbup:
  19. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    How many lenses ???

I am a new user & curious about what number of lenses is considered enough. I see you have quite a few Julie and wondered at what point they start to 'overlap'.

I have a G1 with the kit 14-42mm lens and recently purchased the 45 - 200 mm zoom - which was an essential for me. I can see the benefits of the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, but am puzzled as to what a 45mm or 50mm will give me over & above what I already have. :smile:
  20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    20 versus 25 is such a tough question. On the plus side for the 20, clearly, is the size and weight - roughly half that of the 25.

In 25's favor, it is a bit faster (think 2/3 stop), noticeably quicker/quieter to focus, is amazingly sharp across the frame at f4 (20/1.7 actually has a bit sharper corners wide open) and most people seem to think it has a nicer bokeh.

Maybe it really comes down to which FoV you prefer - 40mm versus 50mm.

I think if I could only have one, I would choose the 20, just because it is a really special lens in such a small package.

Welcome to the user group to you also!