1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Two new cameras announced Monday new G85 or new E-M1 mk II, which one?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by System13, Sep 15, 2016.

which one do you think

Poll closed Sep 24, 2016.
  1. GX85

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. E-M1 mk II

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. G85

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I have an E-M5 mk II,
    I have three Pana lenses the Pana 7-14 f/4; the Pana 42.5 f/1.2 Nocticron; and now the new 100-400 f/4-6.3
    I like the following features, Fast Focus, IQ, and HiRez in that order
    I will be getting one of the two, what's everyone's thoughts on these two choices?

2. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Personally, I'd wait till the GH5 is out as well, as it might have the 20mp sensor. Once all three are out and have been reviewed, then I would make my decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd make the decision after the cameras are launched along with official pricing and specs.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Hard to say, but two questions.

Do you prefer rangefinder or SLR style? I've found I greatly prefer rangefinder for m4/3.
    Do you want to take advantage of Dual IS for your 100-400? I haven't heard anything about cross support for Dual IS between Oly and Pan lens/bodies yet.

5. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    With having the GX8 and mainly using the 100-400 its looking like my choice will be the G85 (is the GX85 in the title a mistake),the dual IS,better grip than the GX8 are two things that stand out for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    I'm surprised ergonomics doesn't figure into your decision making. That's the first consideration, IMO. If the extra controls of the E-M1 are just button clutter, stick with the Panasonic. Having said that, I think the 2+2 control system on the E-M1 is brilliant. I hope it's retained on the MkII.

edit: I meant to ask - what is it about the E-M5 MkII that makes you want to change?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Are we talking about the GX80/85 or the *G*80/85? The latter should be the camera announced on Monday, and it's a different beast from the GX80.

Anyhow, if it's actually the GX80/85 we're talking about, I clearly prefer this small but capable camera over the bigger DSLR-style offerings, but that's clearly me - I own and shoot a big FF DSLR as well, and :mu43: is my small system. The GX80 really embodies most of the advantages in a very appealing way and would be my take. But I suspect that's not the point, really ...

M.

8. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I bought the E-M5 mk II for a trip to Italy and fell in love with the format, infact I'm selling my Nikon D3x and lenses to go completely mu43.
    The new purchase of the new Pana 100-400 lens plus already having a Pana Nocticon, leads me to a fork in the decision tree and a chance to go either direction

Coming from a full frame D3x the ergonomics are already so different I have to retrain my hands again anyways.

9. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    Sorry the new "G"80/85,

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    ah, that makes more sense, as I thought you were considering the range finder style.

The possibility of dual in-body I.S. and lens I.S. for your 100-400 might be a consideration. I don't know if the Oly will be supporting that with Panasonic lenses.

edit:
    My 2 SLR's before were an old Canon Elan 7 and a Minolta SR-1. I bought a compact Panasonic to dip a toe into digital. It was a 12MP LX7. result being, I stopped shooting film. That was a great little camera (with a fast 1.4 integral lens). I got used to the small form factor so I went with the PEN E-PL7 to get, basically, my LX7 with interchangable lenses and a better sensor. If I use the PEN like a rolleiflex with the screen flipped down at chest~waist level, I just absolutely love it. When I try to use it like a "real" camera, I want to throw it into the sea. Hence my interest in your thread, because I have the same internal debate about the 2 higher end m43 cameras, and I was very impressed with my little LX7 and a bit partial to Panasonic.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Ergonomics and handling are top of my list. G85 is one of the best in that regard and will give you duo i.s. with the Pana lenses. E-M1 II won't be released until next year.

12. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    For you, I voted for the (to be announced) G85 because with your Panasonic lenses it will have the fastest focus (your top priority) and dual IS. Also, your lenses are all large and so I think a larger camera with a larger grip makes sense. Also, I see you currently have an Olympus grip and the rumor is that there will be an extra battery grip for the G85.

All that said, the biggest advantage of the G85 over the E-M5 II is likely to be video. For still images, it probably won't be worth the upgrade unless you are really unhappy with the E-M5 II.

13. Rick F

Rick F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2015
    UK
    Rick
    Why can't Panasonic make their product naming easier? Look at the confusion it's caused here!

JR, you haven't mentioned how soon you wish to move to the next camera. If you're in no rush, I'd also wait until the GH5 & M-M1 II are out so you can read the reviews and get your hands on each to have a play. If it were me, I'd be slightly biased towards the EM-1 II as I am already familiar with the layout, but for you I'd have thought the Panasonics may be the first port of call.