1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Two little questions from a new E-m5 user

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Henry, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    Hello everyone! :tiphat:

Being a long time E-p2/3 user, I finally got my refurbished black E-m5 from Olympus Canada!

I have two minor questions:

First, I noticed a single blue pixel on the LCD and the EVF the same spot. I never had a similar issue with my E-p3 so I don't know what to make of it, should I care?

Secondly, after enabling the famous SCP from the menu, when we press the side button of the EVF. We get the grey version but it is not touch sensitive until we press OK. Is there another option? like the SCP to be ready with the touch screen ON as soon as we take our eye off the EVF.

Thanks in advance for you replies!

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Hi there Henry! I believe you have a stuck pixel on your sensor. You have to dive in the camera menu and make a pixel mapping. That will take care of it. As to your second question, I don't think there is a way to enable the touch screen any other way than first pressing the ok button. It prevents you from accidental setting changes which would be much worse than the routine of pressing ok button first. BTW did you notice that you can also hold down the EVF button to select auto switch and manual switch?

3. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal

Vivalo, thanks for the PIxel Mapping info! I will try it now.
    I know about the hold down EVF button... I like to keep auto just to have the full EVF with the eye sensor experience. But I also know the inconvinience, when I want to change my settings with the SCP, I accidently activate-disactivate the EVF and I lose the SCP! I have to press OK again!

Good day!

4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    You may have the touch screen disabled. Dig through the settings to see if you do -- it's in section K in the Custom Utilities section, I think. Also, check the oval icon on the left side of your screen -- the one with a hand in it. You can tap that to change the touch screen from focus on a selected point (which you then tap on the screen), focus on the selected point and then take the photo automatically, or "off." You may have that set to "off."

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Make sure you have selected LIVE SCP in the menus for each mode you want the SCP to show up in when pressing the OK button, in Custom menu section D; Control Settings.

Once that is done you can press the button on the EVF to change from a blank screen to Live View, and pressing the Info button for other options - at least that is what I recall. In Live View there is an icon, 2nd from bottom left hand side to change touch settings. (You should not see the SCP but the options for the

Although the SCP is touch sensitive, it allows you to select which option but you still have to use the front sub-dial or the arrow buttons on the rear multi-selector pad to select the change.

If this does not work for you (if I'm wrong) maybe someone else will pipe in or I can actually check my cameras settings and let you know what they are. I remember it took me a while to get what I wanted.

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I think the OP wants to use his OMD in the mode which has only SCP on the screen and nothing else (the grey back screen with SCP). In that mode or in any other mode there's no way to use SCP in touch mode without first hitting the OK button. At least I couldn't figure any solution to that. Remember, in any other mode you have to hit OK first to even see the SCP.

BTW, when using the grey SCP mode you can cycle between back screen totally off, level gauge and SCP by pressing the info button. There might be other otions too if set differently in the menu.

7. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    vivalo's right.

I wish the EVF and grey SCP on the rear LCD would both remain on at the same time. I guess that would drain the battery too quickly.