1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Two issues with the Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm F2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kb_78, Nov 28, 2015.

1. kb_78

kb_78 New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2015
    Hello,

I am reading in this forum for quite a while now. After getting my Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm f2.8 lens, I have a question, hence the registration.

Here is my question. I have the lens on my E-M5 and am encountering two issues:

• With f2.8, the borders of the image are very much blurred (see attached image). Is this normal? The camera was parallel to the desk and keyboard. PB282565.
    • When using the manual focus clutch I am not able to focus to infinity at 7mm. When the focus clutch hits the stop, the focus is before infinity. Zooming in, it works. At around 10mm, the infinity mark is spot on. At 14mm infinity focus is way before the infinity mark on the scale. Is there a trick for the lower focal ranges (7-9mm)? I want to use the manual focus especially at the lower end... :-(
    I hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks!

---
    On a related note: Great forum with very kind and pleasant users!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Some additional information - was the image taken in RAW and if so, what RAW converter are you using?

3. kb_78

kb_78 New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2015
    It was shot in RAW (ORF) and loaded into Lightroom 2015.3 (CC). No sharpening, vignetting or blurring done. Here is a link to the RAW out of camera:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4511883/PB282565.orf

4. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Re the blurr - you may well be seeing the effects of field curvature in that lens. From the photozone.de review:
    On the focus "plane" the results are quite impressive ... if we ignore that the plane is heavily curved at wide-end - more on this in the next chapter.​
    Link to the analysis: Photozone 7-14 review

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I would call olympus service about the infinity focus issue.

Barry

6. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I cannot help you with the first issue (my lens is still with DHL somewhere). For the second, though, I have a similar problem with the Olympus 12mm lens (thread here). In the beginning I thought it is a problem with the lens on its own. At the moment I am suspecting my camera (an E-M5 as well). I will check when my 7-14 arrives to see if it has the same issue.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Given that it's an ultrawide lens, I imagine it is extreme field curvature at close focus distances (as you've shown). That's pretty normal for this kind of lens, and extremely difficult to design out. You aren't going to find many 7mm flat field macro lenses.

The focus clutch seems like a mechanical problem though, and almost certainly requires a fix or replacement. Not something you should even have to think about on a brand new $1300 lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kb_78

kb_78 New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2015
    Appreciate your replies. I played a bit more with the lens today and it seems that it is a bit "soft" in the extreme edges. Nothing to worry about, though. Unfortunately the whole day it was rainy and I couldn't (did want to) go out for some more tests.

I will call Olympus about the manual focus. Let's see what they are going to say.

9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Finally my 7-14 arrived and I had the chance to go out with it. Attached are three images with f2.8.

My "lessons learned" so far:
    • 7mm is an extreme perspective which one needs to be able to handle. At least I need some more practice...
    • f2.8 in combination with 7mm will almost always result in "soft edges". The edges, however are not soft but simply out of focus. It is tough to get a proper framing (i.e., layered background distances) to get a very nice shot. Again: practice is needed. :)
    I previously owned the Oly 9-18 (sold it for the 7-14) and I have to say it was a more "care free" lens. Just because it didn't offer those extremes (f2.8 & 7mm). Stopped down to f4 and 9mm, the 7-14 is easier to handle as well.

Here are three images (with 100% download option for you pixel peepers).

7mm f2.8
    PC090102.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4511883/mu-43/PC090102.jpg

14mm f2.8
    PC090132.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4511883/mu-43/PC090132.jpg

14mm f2.8
    PC090133.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4511883/mu-43/PC090133.jpg

• Like Like x 1