1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Two full res GX7 shots

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsciorio, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Still no data on DR and Color bit depth?

Have you any side by side DR samples compared with an OMD or E-P5? What is your opinion in comparing the DR range to the high end Olympus bodies?

Nobody so far has mentioned DR in their early comments. I am very curious as to why?

Dan

3. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Good!

Made with the PanaLeica 25m f1.4?

4. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Sure did. That's the finest native glass in the M43 system.

5. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Easy, I don't have those cameras. Sold off my OMD a while ago. If I get the opp I'd love to test.

6. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Just curious, if you dont mibd sharing, why you sold your OMD? You ranked it very high while back

7. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Very interesting...

Even having previously owned the OMD, you won't even give a sniff of a comment on DR comparisons?

Ergonomics...good...
    Features...plenty...
    Nice high ISO...good...
    Dynamic Range...zero info?

You are not alone. Nobody else making early comments on the GX7 is going anywhere near the DR subject either.

Very strange indeed...

Dan

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Are these still from the 0.3 version firmware?

Dan, you can't make any reasonable comparisons of DR unless you're shooting both cameras side by side, same lighting, same ISO (or same exposure, if the ISO's are off). It would be a waste of time to do that with jpegs and pre-release firmware. Keep your shorts on; production ready cameras will be available to test soon, then we'll see some meaningful results.

But probably not from people who are on Panasonic's or Olympus' payrolls.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Great shots

These look great! I uploaded several more on my Flickr page. The GX7 is definitely looking like a winner.

10. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Reading comments about everything else...

I think you are missing the point of my question. People are making comments on image IQ. I do understand that the firmware is .3. The point of my question is "Why are reviewers making no comments whatsoever about IQ?" Ephotozone published an actual review and made no reference to their opinion of DR range. I don't even care if people don't draw a comparison to Olympus cameras. I am wondering why the conspicuous absence of a single sentence mentioning a significant element of image IQ which is indeed DR? There are ISO comments galore. There are discussions about noise levels. There are comparisons posted about almost every element of IQ except DR.

Even the guy who started this thread and comments on many other aspects of image IQ won't go near a DR discussion.

I am not in the market for a new camera. I am set just fine for a while in the gear I am using. I am a very curious bystander wondering about why this strange omission of even general commentary is occurring.

Dan

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm going to hypothesize that, to actually get an accurate read on the DR, you need to use a RAW converter that supports the camera/sensor, not a hacked RAW converter that is using kludged up settings from other cameras, and as far as I know, none presently exist. JPEGs will, by definition, provide compressed dynamic range.

12. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I still feel the same about the OMD but what happened was just on timing and my photographic needs.

My OMD had to go into Olympus for repair. Took them two months to decide that it could not be fixed and they sent me a new one in the box. That was cool of them to replace the OMD but in the mean time I got a Lumix G5 and got hooked on it. I loved that I could shoot stills + motion easy and that it looked the same.

Funny thing is that I discovered how cool my G5 was after I shot with it at Art Basel which was, one year prior, where I had my breakthrough with the Pen Mini which made me sell off my 5DMKII.

Once I got my GH3 I really didn't touch the OMD. I did miss the retro design of the OMD but now that there's the GX7 I'm good to go.:thumbup:

Pen Mini
    6940131335_810e22940d_z.
    London by gsciorio, on Flickr

Lumix G5
    9192541743_8efce7be4a_c.
    P1030970.jpg by gsciorio, on Flickr
    Plus the motion -
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xXlHTBwgFaE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Well without testing them side by side and only seeing the JPEGs from the GX7 I will say the GX7 has the most dynamic range of any M43 camera to date. It would only make sense that it does considering it's brand new and has a brand new Panasonic made sensor.

14. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm not on Panasonic's payroll but I do agree these types of tests are best carried out by many different reviewers so that everyone can come to their own conclusions when making a purchase.

I'm surprised that people are even wondering if the dynamic range, sharpness, etc is solid in the GX7. It's a new camera, the first to use a newly developed sensor, new Venus Engine...of course it would be good. This would be the same if there was a new Olympus, Fuji or Sony.

Thing is with the GX7 it's a noticeable difference even in the JPEGs and no matter what people say about JPEGs there's only so much processing magic that can go on in a JPEG without degrading the file.

I'm more interested in putting the GX7 up against a Fuji X Trans than another M43 camera. I will test against my GH3 though.

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yer welcome to borrow my em5
    I'm in Austin
    Been using my rx1 so I won't be stressing over time lol

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thank you for the photos and info!

Since you mentioned it twice:

Can you positively confirm this is a new Panasonic sensor and not a new iteration of the Sony sensor (used in the GH3)?

Thanks!

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What, is the third time the charm?

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Actually no. I'm not superstitious by any means. I rely on facts and/or official statements (in this case). And we all remember the OM-D, where we finally learned about the Sony connection a few months after release.

I have actually googled the official Panasonic press release, which I hadn't done previously, and indeed Panasonic states it's a sensor developed by them:

(source: DMC-GX7 | Press Release | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global)

Perhaps a suggestion to that effect, instead of an attempt at irony, would be sufficient.

19. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Thank you.

Finally someone expresses an opinion. I have had some rservations about Panasonic sensor technology because of how unsuccessful they have been previously in increasing DR.

I look forward to seeing them find success in the way of sales numbers in the GX7.
    Dan

20. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks.

Over the Nokton 25 f0.95?