Two focus settings questions for OM-D EM5 users....

namasste

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Scott
So far, I have been loving my little EM5. I bought it primarily as a travel camera for those times I didn't want to lug around tons of heavy DSLR gear. Well, to my surprise, I find I am grabbing the EM5 more and more, even over the DSLR at times when either would be convenient. The IQ from that little camera and 45 f/1.8 is just fantastic. I've been really pleased with the PL 14mm and PL 45-175 I have too.

OK, enough gushing...here's the one thing I hate about it and despite reading the manual, can't figure out the work around...I don't want my camera selecting focus points for me. Even when I center the fcus point, it will still sometimes jump around. I have face detection off, FYI. What I want is to be able to do two things. 1) select a single focus point that will not change unless I manually change it myself (ie ctr point only focus on a Canon).and 2) separate the focus and exposure via two different buttons similar to back button focus * on a Canon body. is there any way to do either or both?

mjw

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Matt
With face detect and the rear touch screen focusing disabled, you should not see the focus jumping around, though the camera will still highlight faces I believe. The closest thing to back button focus is manual focus mode and AEL/AFL mode 3.

Edit: On my camera, I have AEL/AFL mapped to the record button and AEL/AFL mode 3 selected. This doesn't leave me any way to lock exposure however, so I have to use mode M for that if I need to do that.

namasste

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, I'll switch to mode 3 and map to a button. I don't really want to lock exposure, just focus. I'm shooting M anyway so exposure is already set. Obviously, in Av, etc, not the case so it could be handy there. What I want is to be able to lock focus and recompose if needed (I know, I know, but sometimes it helps). When its on the same button its harder to do that IMO. I do have face detect off but have never been able to do anything with the touch screen focusing. Mine does not operate correctly. I'll just be sure its turned off which I believe I've done after unsuccessfully trying to make it work (I don't see using that anyway so its no big deal).

emorgan451

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Namasste, are you in single AF? I generally leave the camera in S-AF and use the small focus area points, so I have to use the directional arrow keys to select my focus point. It won't move unless I move it. When it jumps around does it generally move to the same point everytime? If so are you accidentally hitting the af home key that you might have set? (you can select a AF target point as a "home" position and quickly get there with an assigned button).

The owners manual page 44 has some information on AF target selection.

namasste

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Scott
emorgan, I will re-read that page for sure. I have it set to single point and do use the directional arrows but the 'jumping" seems to be inconsitent as to which point it jumps to.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is it possible that one of your fingers or even part of your face is pushing the four-way pad and moving the focus point?

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Is it possible that one of your fingers or even part of your face is pushing the four-way pad and moving the focus point?

That isn't even possible.... What is possible is that nose or cheek touches the touchscreen what would trigger AF point to move. That of course doesn't happen when eye sensor switch to EVF or it is enabled.

I would re-check again is the AF point really set as a user chosen one instead full screen auto.

And to move the focus point there are to quick ways, one is to lower camera and use touchscreen.
Second is to bind a AF selector function to a button like Fn2 and pressing it allows to move focus point with front/rear dials. Faster and easier when camera is on eye.
The D-pad works well enough when not looking at camera and preparing to shoot different composition, just like does the dials allow.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
That isn't even possible.... What is possible is that nose or cheek touches the touchscreen what would trigger AF point to move. That of course doesn't happen when eye sensor switch to EVF or it is enabled.

I would re-check again is the AF point really set as a user chosen one instead full screen auto.

And to move the focus point there are to quick ways, one is to lower camera and use touchscreen.
Second is to bind a AF selector function to a button like Fn2 and pressing it allows to move focus point with front/rear dials. Faster and easier when camera is on eye.
The D-pad works well enough when not looking at camera and preparing to shoot different composition, just like does the dials allow.

You're wrong, it is possible if you're left eye dominant.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks, I'll switch to mode 3 and map to a button. I don't really want to lock exposure, just focus. I'm shooting M anyway so exposure is already set. Obviously, in Av, etc, not the case so it could be handy there. What I want is to be able to lock focus and recompose if needed (I know, I know, but sometimes it helps). When its on the same button its harder to do that IMO. I do have face detect off but have never been able to do anything with the touch screen focusing. Mine does not operate correctly. I'll just be sure its turned off which I believe I've done after unsuccessfully trying to make it work (I don't see using that anyway so its no big deal).

Thank you, you have not only discovered the answer to your problem but also understand the huge advantage of back-button autofocus which I would have suggested to you in your situation if you weren't already aware of it. :)

Here is a more concise description on how to set it up on Olympus cameras... this is for all Oly cameras from DSLR to Pen to OM-D, so there might be a bit of extra info beyond what your model needs:

Go to Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => AEL/AFL. There you can set Single AF, C-AF, and MF modes. Mode 3 is the one that assigns any of those AF types to the back-button. If you set MF to Mode 3, then that will still give you MF capabilities with the focus ring, but will add S-AF capabilities to the back-button. If you set C-AF to Mode 3, that will give you continuous AF as long as you hold down the back-button. You can also set S-AF to Mode 3, but in my opinion this is redundant if you have MF set to to Mode 3. You get S-AF + MF by using MF Mode 3 anyways. I just leave S-AF to the default Mode 1 just in case I ever for whatever crazy reason want to switch to shutter-focus. But I never do. ;)

Next, after you have your AF modes set, all you need to do is assign the AEL function to a button, which will become your back focus button. On the PEN cameras this is in Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => Button Function, but this is the one part that can vary between models. For instance, on my old E-System cameras there was only one AEL button but it could be swapped to the Fn button so you had two choices instead (if I remember, I think the E-P1 was the same). With the newer PEN cameras your possibilities are much more expandable, and the OM-D has the most customizable buttons yet, allowing you to use the Fn1, Fn2, or Record buttons which are right by your right fingers for easy access. I would also suggest setting one of these to ISO. ;)

Of course, you then need to go through your regular control panel to set your camera to use one of the AF types that you have set to Mode 3, or use Menu => Sprocket => AF/MF => AF Mode to do that.

PS, this is a different topic but if you don't know how to do it yet then this will also help you with easy access to all your shooting options from a single one-screen active menu system: Go to Setup => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Control Settings and for every mode turn Live Guide and Live Control to OFF, then turn SCP (Super Control Panel) to ON in every mode.
When you return to shooting, you will then be able to press OK and get a one-screen quick menu of all your essential shooting options. If another menu pops up (ie, like Remote Commander, Art, or Scene menus) then just press INFO and it'll cycle you back to SCP.

Of course this is somewhat related since turning on the SCP will make it easy for you to switch those focus modes, set those focus points, or anything else you need.

namasste

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Scott
Thanks all and Ned, huge thanks for laying it out so clearly. I'll do this tonight and be a happy guy!

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
You're wrong, it is possible if you're left eye dominant.

I shoot with both eyes and you can't press those buttons without hurting yourself while doing it. Try it, you really need to push your face to rear panel to even get something done on purpose.

Those buttons require pretty strong push to be activated.

And touch screen doesn't change focus point when EVF is active.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
Is it possible that you could hit the touch screen with your nose before your eye gets close enough to trigger the automatic switch to EVF? I notice that my focus box seems to show up in places where I didn't intend to put it, and I've been assuming that's what's happening.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I shoot with both eyes and you can't press those buttons without hurting yourself while doing it. Try it, you really need to push your face to rear panel to even get something done on purpose.

Those buttons require pretty strong push to be activated.

And touch screen doesn't change focus point when EVF is active.

You didn't notice, but I didn't refer to the touch screen. Both of my OM-Ds have the eye sensor disabled. You also didn't notice, but I'm not talking about both eyes open, I'm talking about shooting right eyed (as you apparently are) but left eyed, and those buttons can be pushed.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
You didn't notice, but I didn't refer to the touch screen. Both of my OM-Ds have the eye sensor disabled. You also didn't notice, but I'm not talking about both eyes open, I'm talking about shooting right eyed (as you apparently are) but left eyed, and those buttons can be pushed.

You didn't seem to notice that I mentioned both, D-pad AND touchscreen. And that I shoot with BOTH eyes, not both open but looking trough with right AND left eye about same amount. I don't have a dominant eye, for me it no matter of which eye is on EVF. And for me in normal position my nose doesn't touch even touchscreen and to touch even D-pad requires very awkward shooting as you need to rotate head to left a lot.

And clearly you didn't read that I have tried to push D-pad buttons with my nose (and cheek etc) and I SUGGESTED YOU to do the same test, not take just my word from it, only to find that you can't accidentally press those without starting hurting your nose and you will clearly know if you would be pressing them with your nose.

You need to see lots of effort to press those buttons with anything else than fingers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom