Two EP3 reviews in Adorama's site

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Armanius, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think that these reviews were very fair and indicate that Olympus is doing the right thing. If[]I buy the Pen 3 it probably would be with the 12mm lens....[/COLOR]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Yes, the 12/2 looks like a winner!! It better be for the price sticker!

Hoping the 45/1.8 will be equally good.

4. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Here is a google translation of a review of the 12/2 lens. The resolution seems to degrade rather quickly as it is stopped down, but is pretty good wide open.

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The Street Photo Stress Test is a very promising review because this indicates that the E-P3 is good at precisely the things the CSCs should be good at. As for the IQ, maybe Oly will do better if they can convince someone other than their direct competitor to makes their sensors. :rolleyes:

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The improved auto-focus, touch screen (P3), and vari-angle screen (PL3) are what saves this new digital PEN line-up :smile:

IMHO though, the "P4" series must have a markedly better sensor to compete. (Than what's currently now in the E-PL2 & P3/PM1 line)

8. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Most likely that is true. What the big question in my mind is when the E-P4 series will be released. If you look at the time between the release of the E-P2 series and the E-P3 series it should be some time in the Q1-Q2 '12 time frame.

Olympus have been trying to refine the feature set of the series as they figure out just what the market wants...e.g. they added an auto-focus assist light to the E-P3 among other things.

Olympus and Panasonic are several iterations ahead of whatever Nikon & Canon may come out with, unless they put a killer sensor in their offerings...and then there is Fuji who have announced their intentions to re-enter the interchangeable lens market. Pentax' Q series seems to have been created with some serious miscalculations about the target market and pricing. I doubt that Nikon and Canon, in particular, are prepared to develop their mirrorless offerings at the speed which Panasonic and Olympus have done so far. It is true that they have produced their point and shoot cameras with an annual refresh, but they will have to come out with quite a few lenses in a short period of time for their platforms to gain critical mass, unless they, too, join the micro 4/3rds group and buy some time to get their own lenses out by allowing customers to use others, as well as legacy lenses via adapters.

Next year will be about the right time for me to look at whatever new sensor Olympus brings out.

:biggrin:

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thing is,
    Fuji already has a great (killer) sensor in their x100 & they **could** choose to go the route of Sony (i.e. build a small body around that sensor & reduce lens size)....

That being said,
    What interests me the most is how these new digital PENS will sell in comparison with the new Panasonics....:biggrin: :wink: :smile:

10. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    There is a lot of speculation that Fuji will produce a revised version of the X-100 with interchangeable lenses. While that would probably be warmly received, there is still the matter of size and lens availability. Sony's NEX system sounds appealing, but, when you actually handle one, it becomes apparent that the lenses are still rather large.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the Panasonic m4/3rds offerings fare compared to Olympus'. I think the market will support both, but we shall see.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    NEX lenses are no larger than Panasonic MFT lenses with the exception of the NEX 18-200...

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not compared to Oly, and that 18-200 is a pretty telling difference when you compare it to the Oly 14-150. And the 18200 focus hunts badly. That's a telling lens and could be indicative of the limitations of an aps-c compact. Look at the macro lenses. A 90mm macro makes much more useable sense than a 50mm macro, m43 has their PL45. In order to keep the size down, Sony was forced to make a 30mm macro with a relatively small aperture. Blech! But if you look at Canons 60mm 2.8 macro, you can see why they didn't want to go there.

The real strength of the m43 system is its total system size. If Oly could get GH2 sensor performance in it's EP3, then this conversation would pretty much be over. Even if they add peaking, it will greatly weaken the NEX value prop.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Of course not! Sony and Panasonic use in-lens stabilization, Olympus does not...:smile:

14. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Precisely!

Take a look at any camera manufacturer's MF lenses and then compare them to their auto-focus replacement. The size difference is real.

Additionally, the larger sensor of the Sony requires longer (& larger) lenses than a MFT camera for an equivalent focal length. The tradeoff is that the larger sensor has the potential for higher resolution with less noise.

The Sony NEX which I handled had a lens (whatever the kit lens was) that was obviously much larger in diameter than any of the MFT lenses. That is not to say that it was off putting or even unappealing, just different.

If someone can come up with a system that closely approximates the size and experience of the Leica M8/M9, I believe they will have a hit on their hands.

ThE MFT offers the convenience of relatively small size with better IQ than that of the muc smaller sensors of the P&S cameras, even the high end ones which are quite nice in their own right.

Isn't it nice to have such choices?

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    NEX 18-55 is second from less in comparison to other mirrorless lenses..Again, no bigger than Panasonic comparible focal lengths...:smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, but only for the kit. That's the point and the lesson that is so obvious when you compare the all in ones like the 18-200. If all you care about is the kit, then you are golden!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The new NEX 30mm MACRO appears as small as, if not smaller than the Leica/Panasonic 45mm MACRO :smile:

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The Nex lenses are larger as they need to be to serve a larger sensor. But I don't find them objectionably large until you get into telephoto lengths. Anything from wide angle up through a typical kit lens is just fine IMHO, even if a bit larger than the m43 counterparts. Its at the long end where the APS sensor starts to really cause problems with lens size. I thought about splitting my system with the Nex covering wide angle through "neutral" focal lengths and m43 for everything longer. But then Sony kept on in its class leading performance in not releasing any native lenses. And now I'm jumping back to m43 for both ends of the "system". Of course, I don't know how much I'll be using any full system - as much fun as I've been having shooting with fixed lens cameras. But I'll definitely want one available.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, but the PL45 acts as an equivalent 90mm macro, the 30 as an eq 50mm macro. I've used 50 and 90mm macros on my DSLR -- 90 is much more preferable (typically a little more working distance, and it can double for portraits), which was my point.

In order for NEX to make a 90mm equivalent macro, it would have to be a 60mm lens. Looking at Canon's 60mm macro lens, and you get a sense for the size it would need to be (and the Canon EF-S 60mm doesn't have IS, which will take up some room). And they'll need to add IS. When Oly does finally release a macro, it could be even smaller than the PL45.

NEX has to cut corners in order to keep their lenses relatively small. In the case of this macro, they chose a shorter macro focal length, and also a relatively narrow aperture -- all likely to keep the size down.

In the case of the kit lens, they traded off performance. The Panny14-45 is a VERY nice lens in terms of sharpenss and other characteristics, especially compared to the Sony 18-55. See SLRGear here: Panasonic Lens: Zooms - Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA O.I.S. LUMIX G VARIO (Tested) - SLRgear.com! and here: Sony Lens: Zooms - Sony E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS SEL1855 (Tested) - SLRgear.com!. Sony made an intentional quality vs. size trade-off. That's fine -- just be aware of what you are getting with NEX. Of course, Oly also traded off some quality, but their lens is the most compact of all, and still beats the NEX in quality (see http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1400/cat/15)

These are the trade-offs the larger NEX sensor size will force on the system as a whole -- off focal lengths (30mm macro, 60mm portrait) or lower quality optics.

Look -- only time will tell if they can come up with good lenses, but Sony chose a VERY short flange back distance, which is going to make building quality lenses more a challenge -- and a larger sensor -- which is going to blow up their lens size. Hey, if they build the right product, the world will beat a path to their door. But so far, their three actual released lenses are not worthwhile, and the new macro is not much better (although the 16 is better than the kit). The first test will be the CZ24, which has already been delayed once, in order to -- wait for it -- shrink the size down! (which I will guess means they're going to trade off some quality).

Meanwhile, m43 already has good lenses, and great ones are coming in the next two months -- great both in terms of good Focal Lengths and apertures people want and need. I'm not married to m43, but right now it looks like HOW they have architected the system puts them on an easier path to success if light/compact+quality is your end game. The one challenge is that the system with IBIS -- which is what really shrinks the lens size -- has an older sensor. In another posting I made about the EP1, though, the sensor is still stellar. It's only when you care more about specs and tests than actual picture taking, do you get hung up about it. The EP1 sensor is VERY capable, and the EP3 is likely to be as good if not a tweak better.

The Pen series sensor is a generation behind, but adequate to most tasks. The lenses that are coming out are stellar, and the whole system size just rocks. Throw in a classic styling, and it's really a fantastic convergence. I said it earlier in this thread, and will repeat it here -- if they had access to the GH2 sensor, there wouldn't even need to be any more postings about this. The game would be over. But they're not allowed to have that sensor, and there are no other 43 sensor vendors to source from, so there are still openings for rivals. It's up to Sony (or Panny) to step up their game. Let's see what happens.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Anywho,
    The E-P3s are gaining traction....once it's released with the official firmware version..(whatever that is) then we'll all know :smile: