Two EM-1 vs EM-5 speed questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slob, Oct 12, 2013.

1. slob

slob New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    Two things that annoy me about the EM-5:
    • 1/2 second delay to turn on the EVF, when raising to my eye
    • Significant shutter lag, when using flash (the one that comes with the cam)

Is the EM-1 better?

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I had an E-M5 but I haven't had it for months. When I raise the E-M1 to my eye, it's already on. I suppose I could raise it fast enough to cause a lag, but I'd probably slam it into my head if I did it that fast. For the flash, I have not noticed any lag.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The internal flash is a pain. But it's no different to any of those inbuilt things. The EM5 is fine with an external flash.

Gordon

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I don't know what you are doing to get a 1/2 sec delay for the EVF, check your settings.

For the flash make sure you do not have red eye reduction set for your flash.

5. slob

slob New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    The 1/2 second delay is very real.

Walk around with the camera at your side. Let it go to sleep.
    See something amazing. Something where you'd love to "capture the moment".
    While raising it to your eye, half press the shutter to wake up the camera.
    Stare at the blank EVF until the moment is gone.

The only viable alternative that's been suggested is to disable EVF switching, which then forces you to use EVF "Style 3". "Style 3" sucks, IMHO.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is no "shutter lag" when using flash, what you are experiencing is delay caused by your own flash settings. This could be a number of things (red-eye reduction is one which was mentioned), most likely something like pre-flash for TTL metering, or sending signals for RC mode if using a remote commander. Change your settings to any which do not require the flash to obtain outside metering or to send communicative signals ahead of the shot.

7. slob

slob New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    Previous post was not about flash. This one is.

Just using the flash that came with the camera. Checked my settings:
    RC mode is off.
    Flash mode = lightning bolt, on SCP. i.e. Red eye is off.
    Exposure mode = S or A

There is a noticeable delay with the flash raised. Delay between the tick of the shutter button and the Snick-It of the shutter. Not a big delay, but a delay. Long enough for a blink.

What else could it be?

8. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    You do know that any flash on any camera set to TTL mode needs to fire a pre-flash to get exposure and then the main flash for the picture. Certainly not a 1/2 second but a delay. This has nothing to do with E-M5 or E-M1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. slob

slob New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, I know that.

My 1D MkII has no noticeable delay. As the shutter button is pressed, there is a glint in the eye, from the preflash. Then the mirror blacks out. The difference between flash and no flash is measured in milliseconds.

The EM-1 is supposed to be "pro". I'm just trying to understand by who's definition.

10. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I don't see any lag on the E-M1. But I don't remember any real lag on the E-M5 either. But I don't have one anymore to compare to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Your first questions started about the EM-5 and last post implies you have an EM-1. Do you have one or the other, both, or neither one?

If you have either or both, maybe you should just reset the camera(s) back to its factory default settings.

BTW - Even the 1Dx and D4 have a long enough delay to catch the blink of an eye!

The E-M1 is defined as pro level by Olympus and with many pros already testing the camera they have not disagreed.

12. slob

slob New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2013
    No, I don't have an EM-1. I have an EM-5. And I'm trying to decide whether an EM-1 is my next toy. My "pro" cameras have been Canon F1, 1V, 1D and 5D series cameras (And don't confuse me as a "canon fan boy". They have many problems).

I like my EM-5, but I don't love it. The image quality, the size, the lenses all impress me. The ergonomics and the occasional delays annoy me.

The EM-1 fixes most of my niggles around ergonomics, so I didn't ask about those. I'm trying to figure out whether it also fixes "my" speed issues. They might not be "your" issues, but they bug "me".

The biggest issue, IMHO, is the delay for the EVF autoswitching. I'm not the only one to complain about this one, and it has nothing to do with factory defaults. It is worst, in my experience, when the camera is waking up. The LCD comes on quickly, but switching back to the EVF is slow. If the camera is fully on, EVF switching is reasonably quick. The only solutions are "don't let the camera go to sleep", and "turn off EVF switching". Those aren't solutions. They are workarounds.

The second issue is the delay with the flash. This is more of a "am I doing something wrong?" question. Not a show stopper. My Canons are much faster, when doing flash photography.

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've used Nikons for years shooting TTL flash for weddings and B'nai Mitzvahs. With a fast focusing lens, and the pattern the Nikon flashes project, there is no perceptible delay. I've given up trying to shoot people with TTl flash on any of my µ4/3 bodies, and use an old SB28 in Auto mode; no delay and better exposures. For off camera flash I use the same radios I've been using for the last 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've also found the EM5 to be pokey sometimes and I've been looking for faster settings. I did disengage the sensor for the evf and that helped. I may just go through all the menu items and see what I can do to optimize response.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I agree. I'm just trying to find things for this mysterious delay one person says they have.

• Like Like x 1
  16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Actually the way you describe the EVF lag this time is slightly different from before. The E-M1 is faster 'waking up from sleep' than the E-M5 - you can wake up from sleep, focus and take a shot in one second.

With the E-M5, if you place the camera to your eye and then press the shutter button there is a delay before you see through the EVF of perhaps half a second. To me this is still pretty instantaneous although I guess you would see a noticeable difference compared to an OVF.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Have you updated firmware on the EM-5 yet? I use an FL50 and have never experienced this shutter lag. I don't use the eye sensor. I disabled it to use the toggle switch between EVF and live view, as I use both intermittently.

I do recall there being something about problems waking up from sleep...either it was a different model or it was a correction in a firmware update, but I can't remember for sure. I've personally never had that issue..you could change the sleep timer to be longer.

18. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I was about to post agreeing about there being a 'significant delay' when I read your post. The delay I've seen is of about 1/2 a second roughly however unlike you I find it annoying enough that I've turned off EVF switching.

Half a second is sometimes enough to miss a photo of a quick moving subject but more importantly it's just ANNOYING, good cameras are supposed to be responsive. If I didn't mind lag and delay then I'd use a compact ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  19. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Hi Slov,

Robbie 36 is correct in his assessment of why you are experiencing such a long delay in the EVF.

The camera needs to be prepared itself and when I am on Street Photography, I touch the shutter as I am putting the camera to my eye. You then have virtually no delay in the EVF turning on.

As a Nikon user I bought the V1 for Street Photography, but that is a true nightmare, taking about 1 second plus, whatever you do to get the EVF turned on. The E-M5 is no problem at all, if you follow my suggestion above.

My E-M1 has not arrived yet, so cannot comment.

As to flash delay, I have never experienced this and tried the provided flash which I didn't like, an FL600R and teh Nikon SB900. I have also set up for remote flash using Calumet Pro Series controllers and again no delay that I can see, which is any different from using my D3S or D3X.

Best regards

Chris

20. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Check that you don't have RC mode on to control flashes remotely.