TWO dead E-PL5s in TWO YEARS!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CanonConvert, Jan 10, 2017.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    Two years ago, my E-PL5 had this issue:

Back then, I asked around but no one had an inkling why the body responded like that. I bought a new E-PL5, and 2 years ago, the same thing happened:

I have tried resetting all settings to default, changing different lens, different modes, different cards/batteries and it still shows the same problem. May I know what exactly is wrong with the camera and how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I haven't encountered that issue with mine. Perhaps contact Olympus support?

3. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    they aren't willing to tell me the problem until i send for diagnostics, with $60 labour fee.

just want to make sure it's nothing serious before i send it in.

4. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    I had the same issue with my E-M10. It was the shutter sticking. Take off the lens and see if the shutter sticks closed. I sold my E-M10 for parts when that happened so I don't know the repair cost.

5. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    it gets closed for 5 seconds, and opens up thereafter.

any advice and if I can DIY the shutter replacement? can't find the parts on eBay.

6. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    Strange for the same fault to happen on two bodies. If you had not tried different cards I would have wondered if it was a corrupted memory card. I imagine getting into the camera to get to the shutter will be almost a complete strip down. Can see a CCD sensor and mirror box frame on eBay from rongyuanxie, but not aware if the latter includes the shutter. Life Pixel give some good tutorials of how the get into Olympus cameras:
    Life Pixel – Olympus E-PL5 DIY Digital Infrared Conversion Tutorial - LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion.