Two candid portraits

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by stickan1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. stickan1

stickan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    We visited Berlin last weekend and I had my GF1 with me almost everywhere. Here are two portraits that I am pleased with:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Stig for sharing these excellent portraits with us. The first one is my number one. Wonder, do you use your Pan more often then your Sony ? Because size and weight matters.
  3. stickan1

stickan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    I would never have taken my Sony a900 with me for a trip like this. But I had the GF1 with me almost everywhere, even during the evenings. But when I go out in the nature just for photographing I normally take my a900. I will keep two systems, and use GF1 for street and travel. But the GF1 has cured me from the temptation to buy a Leica M9 and I have sold my a700 and all APS-C lenses.
  4. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    First one is also my favourite, thanks for posting :)
  5. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I love both of these,

I think it is perhaps the background that makes the first. The dark figures behind really bring the face out of the background yet dont overly clutter the image... Sitting on the floor, hands under chins we get the real sense of the negative space they help draw in.

I love it.

The second is wonderfully candid and natural. Yes, I prefer the first from a aesthetic viewpoint but I find myself keep coming back to the second for clues, which is wonderful.

Nice work,

6. stickan1

stickan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks for your kind comments. The old man is looking on a film with street life in Berlin from the thirties. He may have been a small boy then! The man on the bus was reading an old book and left the bus outside the culture centre. He was very concentrated on reading!
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Love the first one. The concentration on the gentleman and the context given by the others make for a great photograph.
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Stickan, my feelings reflect what everyone else has posted about your first portrait. Even without your description, which I do like to read, I can feel this man's concentration and connection with whatever he is looking at. The tones and focus are really good - very nice details...his clothing, his hair, his face and his glasses. Without knowing him, I get the strong feeling that you caught him in the moment very well.

I can see what drew you to your second image. I think I would like to see a closer cropped image that would allow me to focus in on him without the passersby...but that is just my thought and it's still early for a Sunday morning for me.
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city