Two cameras and not enough lenses...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dissembled, May 3, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I currently own the GX7 and the E-M10 which I've received just recently. The only lens I possess at the moment is the Olympus 25/1.8. I'm therefore missing a wide angle option. I definitely prefer wide angle ranges over telephoto and am consequently debating acquiring either the Panasonic 12-32, Panasonic 14-42 II, Panasonic 14-45 and Panasonic 14/2.5.

Out of these options, which will be the best choice? I shoot spontaneous portraiture and am into street photography as well. I value sharpness over everything else.

If you know of other lenses you'd like to add, feel free to suggest them and I'll consider it. Characteristics that are important to me include:

-- sharpness (as stated above)
    -- lens must offer a wide angle range
    -- affordable (less than $500.)
    -- lens must AF

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Have you considered the Rokinon 12mm f2? It seems to get great reviews with the downside of manual focus only. Wide angle + f8 or so will make focusing almost a non issue on the street and peaking helps a lot too. I don't own this lens personally but I really enjoyed my time with the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 when I had it.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    12-32.
    You can also pick used m43 9-18 for under $500, or even 7-14 (with some luck and may be closer to $600)
    There are also fish-eye lens under $200 that can be de-fished.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

14mm f2.5 might be a nice option as you could also pick up the GWC1 adapter and have it double as an 11mm lens.

I am not sure if it is a typo, but just to make sure, the only kit zoom that starts at 12mm is the 12-32. The Other two are 14-42 and 14-45. The Panasonic 14-42 II is extremely sharp, but not very fast. It is in the f5's through the bulk of its range as the aperture drops fast. But for outdoor work, it is as sharp as most of the primes in its range.

You didn't mention a 12mm f2.0. You should be able to find one of those in your price range if you shop used or refurbished.

5. shermanshen

Jul 28, 2014
    I'd hate to muddy the waters even further, but for $500, you could get a third body. The Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A are about that price range and have an 28mm equivalent focal length. They both make some excellent photos. I know this doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the em10 body, but just some food for thought. If it were me, I'd maybe go with a Ricoh GR to cover the wide angle and add a 45mm f1.8 to the mix. Three bodies covering 28-90mm beautifully!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    That's not so much muddying the waters as going of at a complete tangent!
    The OP has 2 bodies & only 1 lens adding a second lens will cover his requirements perfectly with out adding another camera system. There are plenty of µ4/3 lenses that will meet the OPs requirements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    your work on flickr is very good... surprised you are asking such basic lens choice questions here?

12 to 14 to 17 and to 25 are quite clear and different focal lengths in my way of looking. Some work for me ... some don't... personally I find 12 way too wide, especially for street and spontaneous portraiture. 14 also is a little wide for my tastes.. though the pana 14 prime is really small and would make for a very discreet package with the GX7.

There is the pana leica 15, which I haven't tried and then the Oly 17/1.8 which I love so much.

Think looking at your shots that the zooms would frustrate you due to slow apertures

as for sharpness.... in real world actual photo taking, it's good technique... which you seem to have, that will beat any paper spec... most modern lenses are more than sharp enough... when the 17/1.8 came out the 'experts' said it wasn't sharp... how sharp do you need?

ISO 4000@ 1.8

11076001295_a4f9f6da69_b.
    PB250019
    by kevinparis, on Flickr

cheers

K

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. shermanshen

Jul 28, 2014
    Yes, I know you're right. Restraint is a quality that I struggle with! I'll go back to my original recommendation of the Rokinon 12mm f2. The Panny 15mm is also a great choice and can be easily found for under $500 used.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    For the OP, given his situation, another camera is probably not a great idea, but I'm right with you on the concept shermanshen. I have a small kit with just the 25/1.8 and 60/2.8, and I really don't want to end up with another bag of lenses (again). Adding a Nikon A has worked very well. The images it produces surpass my m4/3s expectations, and the Ricoh GR, from all accounts, is on another level above that.

10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I'd say Oly 12mm f/2 but you won't find it for under $500 unless you get a deal on a used one. KEH is listing one for about $600. Ebay may go lower.

11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    OP,

Do you want/need a 24mm eqv., or would you be OK with a 28mm eqv.? Do you want a zoom lens, or do you prefer prime lenses?
    • If you want to use a zoom, and have a 24mm eqv. FoV then I would suggest the Panasonic 12-32.
    • If you want to use a zoom, and are ok with a 28mm eqv. FoV then I would suggest the Panasonic 14-42 II
    • If you want a prime lens and 24mm eqv. FoV then pick up a used Olympus 12mm (they can be had for under $500)
    • If you want a prime lens and are ok with a 28mm eqv. FoV then pick up a Panasonic 14mm (it's a bit slower @ f/2.5, but can be had for dirt cheap used. Plus it can be paired with the GWC1, giving you the option of an 11mm f/2.5 lens, although you'll need to create a profile within your editing software to correct the distortion added by the converter).
    If you're comfortable using primes (which I'm assuming you are based on the fact that your only lens is the 25mm), then I would suggest going for one of the two prime options listed above (although the 12-32 is quite good at 12mm).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    You could grab an Oly 12-40 Pro for $500 used if you're patient. It has the highest resolution of MFT short zooms and 25% more reach than the Pany 12-32. No in-lens stabilization though when used with the GX7

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tkbslc

There is no in-lens stabilization on the 12-40, period. However, the GX7 is the one Panasonic body with in body stabilization, so you'd be good.

14. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    My mistake. I'll be sure to edit my initial post. Thanks!

15. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I definitely want an AF lens sorry to say. I never MF with any lens I own.

16. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I think 28mm is good enough for me. I also own a Nex 6 with kit lens and I usually gravite towards the widest focal length: 18mm which translates to 27mm with the crop factor.

I know, I know. Hehe. I have the Nex 6 to cover the wider ranges already. I usually bring one camera with me however, and a two body system at once is too cumbersome for me, unfortunately.

I think I prefer primes if I had to choose. I'll check out the prices for the O 12/2 right now.

Thanks, folks.

EDIT: $700 new for the 12. Yikes. There's also no used options from Amazon which is the retailer I use for most of my online purchases.

EDIT II : There seems to be used silver versions of the lens on Amazon, interesting to say.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

My copy is silver. It actually looks pretty cool on my black/silver EM5. :)

18. tkbslc

So, wait a minute here. You have 3 cameras then? And you don't want to carry multiple cameras?

I don't want to tell someone how to live their life, but surely you have enough invested in mulitple cameras to have a pretty nice lens kit for a single camera. Were I in your shoes, I would sell some stuff and just buy a much less restricted lens kit for a single camera body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Do Olympus silver lenses have a yellow tint?

And guys, I think I'm buying new as I have OCD and detest scratches of ANY kind. I also would like a warranty just in case the lens malfunctions. I know. This considerably limits my options. :(

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @dissembled@dissembled ,

Every lens I own, with the exception of one, has been purchased used, and I've had no cosmetic issues with any of them (I have 4 used lenses). Lenses are pretty expensive, and as such people tend to treat them very well. Of all the used lenses I have (all of which I've purchased from here), none have ever had any decentering issues or cosmetic flaws. The people on this forum are typically very good, and wouldn't deliberately hide blemishes from a prospective buyer (the same can't be said for ebay).

Honestly, I have no qualms what-so-ever about buying used lenses or cameras from members on this forum.