1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Two camera shoots, another GH3 or new GH4?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by thercman, Sep 13, 2014.

1. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Hi Guys!

Last October I purchased a GH3 which I enjoy using very much. I need an additional camera for multi camera video shoots. Currently the GH4 is $1699 and the GH3 is $799 making it half the price. My initial thought was I could purchase the GH4 and use it as the primary camera and use the GH3 for secondary shots. However, I am not the sure the price difference is really worth it at this point. First, most people cannot even view 4k and second it eats up hard drive space etc.. I know that shooting in 4k and down sampling results in better quality, but $900 worth? Maybe I am answering my own question but I would like to hear from you guys and what your perspective is on this...

Regards,
    Greg

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think you have more or less answered your question, Ill put another thought in to the mix; Will the GH4 be a lot less in a year or so and does it do something you require now? If you feel or think it will be less in a year and you have no need for the extra features then buy a GH3 perhaps even a used one and wait.

3. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    4k on the gh4 is only 100mbits so not that space intensive. Your needs also will dictate if its worth the increased cost. The af is much much better as is the evf. It's blazing fast at everything. I didn't like the gh3 but love the gh4.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    4K means you can actually crop your video after the fact, very useful if it's locked down.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I sold the GH3 once the GH4 arrived, but the original plan had been to use the GH3 as B-cam. The 4k video is phenomenal looking, and clocks in right around a gigabyte per minute. Personally I enjoy being able to crop, stabilize, rotate, etc while still having a super sharp image. I also get a fair bit of use out of the 96 fps mode.