1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Two Ants

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    • Like Like x 16
  2. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Totally awesome.

So how do you get them to 'pose'? Do you set up focus on an area and try to get them to get near there? Or, are you blessed somehow with photogenic insects?

I'd really like to know. Because I assume getting the focus so crisp takes a few adjustments and tweaks and some time, and by then the insects would move.

3. MadDawgJ

MadDawgJ New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Great shots, what setup did you use for these?

4. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Brilliant, love the pose in the first photo :thumbup:

5. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks. They don't pose unless they are eating, mating - have never seen ants mate, or grooming - all creatures groom themselves. There are times when they stop still for no discernible reason. Whenever they stop you have to be quick enough to take the opportunity.

The first stopped for about 20sec to groom itself and I had been watching it and was ready, the second was exploring the flowers and stopped for no apparent reason - they are slow moving anyway, and I was ready.

You've got to be there and ready. It takes practise and experience, the more the better, simple as that. I see them, evaluate my chance of a shot, move in at the appropriate angle with the appropriate attitude and get the shot, or not. Sometimes I am about to push the button on the rarest of shots and it just walks out of the frame. (:)

The sharpness of my pix comes down to the lighting. I use flash 99% of the time with highest available SS (depends on if I want ambient light in it) and smallest usable aperture (for dof), that way the flash is the effective SS which is very fast - up to 1/50,000sec - depending.

Lighting is an art in itself and I've outlined my approach here : http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/ Includes the rundown on just about every aspect of my work.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Bill.

These are both female, two different species. I just found out these are two queens looking for a suitable place to start a new colony, can tell from where wings used to be attached.

7. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks MD. It's all in the second link in my sig.