1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Twin Palms

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by GaryAyala, Aug 29, 2011.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    We lost the marine layer here in Southern California (the early morning fog that keeps things cool). So I headed out to the beach, my old stomping grounds of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Low 70's, nice ocean breeze, wonderful vistas ... great way to cool off.

View from the top. Below the 100'+ cliffs of the peninsula are coves and tide pools. That is Catalina on the horizon.

Tide pools in the foreground Pt. Fermin in the background.

1070461-XL.
    A bit of B&W.

If you look very closely, urchins, mussels, barnacles, sea stars, et al.

After a hard day at the tide pools a late lunch at the Lighthouse Cafe.

G

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lovely water colours. I'll have the shrimp and scallops, thanks.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... I had the beer battered Mahi. The Lighthouse Cafe is this little hole-in-the-wall eatery with a great menu. Everyday the menu changes.

These gulls waited for the family to hit the tide pools then swooped in for their delivered lunch. Gulls don't tip well.

G

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wow, stunning colours that make that water look a little cold but yet inviting - not as inviting as the menu though, sea food pasta for me please!

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The Pacific off California is on the cold side. During summer the water averages in the upper 60's ... mmmh ... around 19C by your standards. If you're spending any time in the water you gotta wear a wetsuit (diving or surfing).

1070457-L.

G

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Right then - pass on the swim, 2 portions of seafood pasta instead!

7. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Number 2 and 4 are my favourites...I like the foreground and lead in, I've never been able to achieve that effect...always either too low or too high and foreground or background not in proper focus when I've tried....these spur me on.
    thanks for posting these.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Brianvickers, it is easily done. Use a single focus point. Either move the focus point to the bottom of the frame or use the central focus point and aim your camera to where you want focus point to be and focus. Then hold that focus, (usually by keeping the shutter release halfway depressed), reframe the image and then take the shutter release button the rest of the way down to capture the image.

G