Twin macro flashes Yongnuo YN-24EX for Olympus

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't really need TTL for super macro (STF-8 is too expensive for my limited use), so would Yongnuo YN-24EX fires just fine on my E-M1 mk1 as manual speedlite?

As fast as I understand, Canon flashes would fire on Olympus, just no TTL and heavier / bulkier, correct?

I have already made a good DIY rig using 1-2 Godox TT350 and DIY diffusers. Those diffusers will work for other twin macro speedlites.

For this application, I do not need a ring flash. I am aware than Godox sells a macro ring flash for m4/3.

I am aware of Meike MK-MT24, though I am sure I need wireless function. The Meike heads look bigger and heavier than the Yongnuo heads too. The Meike is also not native m4/3, if I understand correctly.

STF-8 looks almost like two FL-LM3 with a controller, by the way. I have used a single LM3 and feel that it does not have enough motion stopping power for fast and small insects.

I don't think it matters, but my macro work can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zzffnn/albums

I shoot subjects as small as 3mm wide in the field sometimes and routinely hand-hold shooting 2x-3x magnification on (m4/3) sensor.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't know about the Yongnuo, but I looked at the STF-8 and came to the conclusion it was not powerful enough for me. May be if it was half the price for some specific use but not the full price, and it does not seem to get on sale for a good price either.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, I am aware of the KX-800. I dislike those two bulky arms personally.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Any other opinion or educated guess? I am close to pulling the trigger. Will report back.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Yongnuo YN-24EX works perfectly on my Oly E-M1 mk1. Another photog confirmed the same. No TTL of course, since it is a native Canon flash.

It is stupid heavy though. It feels as if Yongnuo over-builds it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom