Tweaking file numbering?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    My GH1 arrived today, making it my second m4/3 camera in as many weeks.

One problem with buying two Panasonic cameras within such short span of time is file numbering. Since the two cameras will use the identical file numbering system, I'll inevitably run into duplicate file names. I assign different folder for each month, but that probably won't be enough.

How do people cope with this problem? My understanding is that you can't change the file naming system (P1000001.jpg, .....). Any brilliant solution to this?
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is it possible to rename a jpeg file on a memory card to a higher number and then reinsert it in the camera? I THINK I did this accidently a while back with two Canon cameras when I put a card from one camera with a higher shutter count and used it in the other camera body without deleting the files on it first (I know, I know, slap on the wrist, etc, etc!). IIRC the second camera started numbering files from the last image stored on the card.

I actually don't understand how my Olympus E-P1 numbers it's files. It seems to variously use a prefix of P, PA, PB, or PC.
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am not sure this is true for Panasonic, but my E-P1 allows me to specify an initial letter for my file name. So one body is set to "A" and the other is set to "B."
  4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Download a batch file renamer and run your image files through it when you unload a memory card. Means you can give them all meaningful names (ie. Disneyland_2011_001, _002,.. or 26_January_2011_001, _002,..) before they get filed on your hard drive.

You might have to spend an a bit of time going through your old files, but once you're up to date, it's a process that only takes a minute or two to do and has really organised my photos that had been taken on 6 different cameras and were spread across 2 different computers as well as 2 external drives! There were loads of duplicates where I'd unloaded once, then again later onto another drive too, but this was sporadic duplicates rather than any kind of backup.
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Daddy, hmmmm... anyway...
    Step 1...Do you use Light Room? If not, what software do you use... ?
  6. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I use ACDSee. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've had it for several years as more of a "picture viewer" rather than a "photo manager".

Is Light Room going to solve the problem? I've been thinking about getting a better PP program anyway.
  7. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't think you can with Panasonic. You're stuck with Panasonic's file naming scheme. I couldn't do anything about it with my LX3, and I can't seem to do anything about it with my GF1 or GH1. Yes, I wish Panasonic could do what your E-P1 does - allowing customization in the file naming.
  8. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I do have a batch file renamer. (I use MP3Tag. It's supposed to be batch MP3 tag changer, but it changes file names in batch better than any dedicated file name changers.)

But I'm looking for a more streamlined, automated way to avoid duplicates. If the camera allows customization in the naming - like E-P1 seems to do -, that would be the best. If a photo manager automatically does it for you - I'm hoping Light Room can do it, because someone mentioned it -, that would be next alternative. Batch file renaming, which is what I'd have to do in the absence of any other alternative, would be my least favored route.
  9. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    yes, in Lightroom you have the option to rename all your files on import. the naming is highly customizable too - pretty much anything you can think of.
  10. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I think I now have the solution in Light Room, but FYI, your method won't work with Panasonics. Panasonics "remember" the last used file number and automatically assigns the next number without any regard to the highest file number in the memory card.

It's interesting to see that Canon, Panasonic and Olympus all behave differently with respect to file numbering.