Turning stabilization off - G85

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still setting up my G85. Getting to my settings to use while on a tripod now.

In the camera menu I see no way to turn stabilization off - just normal and vertical.

However when I turn the OIS button off on the lens the stabilization icon in the viewfinder/screen turns red. So am I effectively turning off stabilization for both the camera and lens using just the switch on the lens?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
When you flip the switch on your lens, you are only disabling OIS on the lens, so the red hand means no “dual-IS.” You are just relying on the camera body to handle the stabilizing. I no longer own the G85, but I don’t see a way to disable stabilization in the body on my G9 either. I don’t know if it’s possible, but it’s not something I‘ve wanted to do.

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for your reply.

Huh - never heard of a modern camera where you can’t disable the stabilization. Now I will wonder if when using the tripod I am getting the cleanest image. I use my tripod a lot....

At least I know I’m not missing something in the menu - thanks!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When you are using a lens with Panasonic with stabilization when your turn the lens off you are turning off stabilization. With a non-IS lens you have the option of turning the body off.

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
When you are using a lens with Panasonic with stabilization when your turn the lens off you are turning off stabilization. With a non-IS lens you have the option of turning the body off.
OK - thanks. That makes some sense. However...if using a non-IS lens as you say - where do you turn the body stabilization off?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If you want to easily turn stabilisation on and off add it ti the quick menu.
Haveing siad that i leave mine on all the time including tripod use. But if you going to say pan video on a tripod it may pay to turn it off.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you want to easily turn stabilisation on and off add it ti the quick menu.
Haveing siad that i leave mine on all the time including tripod use. But if you going to say pan video on a tripod it may pay to turn it off.
Or you might want to turn it from full stabilization to panning rather than turning it off completely in the case of video on a tripod.

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
Look at page 145 of the advanced G85 manual (Menu -> [REC] -> Stablizer). Also look at pages 144, 146, and 147.
Thanks! I feel terrible that you had to show me where it is in the manual as I read over it multiple times....

Thought I would highlight what it says -

A69FDE82-897B-46D9-A501-66DBEBE25AF8.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks! I feel terrible that you had to show me where it is in the manual as I read over it multiple times....
What Panasonic means is if you have a Panasonic lens that has a stabilization switch, the only way to turn off stabilization is using the switch on the lens. I just tested this on my G85 with my Panasonic 100-300mm mark II lens. The menu item only gives you the option for normal stabilization and panning stabilization. Off is not an option. If I switch to a lens that doesn't have stabilization (such as my Olympus 60mm macro lens), then the Panasonic menu item has 3 boxes in it (normal stabilization, panning stabilization, and off).

It is one of several places where I think Panasonic did not offer the menu choices I want. I don't want to have to go between the switch on the lens and the menus to switch IS on or off. In addition, I should be able to choose whether I just want in-body stabilization, just lens stabilization, or both.

That being said, I rarely turn off stabilization, even if I'm shooting on a tripod. And these days, I'm shooting less and less with the G85 and more with just the Olympus cameras, except when I'm recording video. So I'm not as up on the fine details of its use.

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
What Panasonic means is if you have a Panasonic lens that has a stabilization switch, the only way to turn off stabilization is using the switch on the lens. I just tested this on my G85 with my Panasonic 100-300mm mark II lens. The menu item only gives you the option for normal stabilization and panning stabilization. Off is not an option. If I switch to a lens that doesn't have stabilization (such as my Olympus 60mm macro lens), then the Panasonic menu item has 3 boxes in it (normal stabilization, panning stabilization, and off).

It is one of several places where I think Panasonic did not offer the menu choices I want. I don't want to have to go between the switch on the lens and the menus to switch IS on or off. In addition, I should be able to choose whether I just want in-body stabilization, just lens stabilization, or both.

That being said, I rarely turn off stabilization, even if I'm shooting on a tripod. And these days, I'm shooting less and less with the G85 and more with just the Olympus cameras, except when I'm recording video. So I'm not as up on the fine details of its use.
OK - I get it all now - thanks so much!

Latest threads

Top Bottom