1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Turning off Noise Reduction/Filter improves AF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    I always turn off NR and Noise Filter on my PENs. Today I just turned them on and to slowed my EPL2 a lot. I think newer PEN users should note this point .There is a drastic improvement in AF on my EPL2 after turning NR and NF off.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I'm not disputing your findings, but that seems odd. I have to imagine that NR would occur after the photo is taken, so why would that affect AF speed?

3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    With my G3, I turn off all NR/Noise filters and get a real improvement in clarity because all noise filters do is blur the image. They are only there so that people won't whine about noise at higher ISOs. They do nothing good, in my view.

The better approach is to use IR, or "Intelegent Resolution" with a G3 and crank it up to High. This applies sharpenning only to those areas with detail and edges, and not to blank areas like the sky. I leave IR and ID (Intelegent Dynamic) both on high, set sharpenning to +2, and the results are great. If I get some noise at 1600, that's fine with me, as long as I have detail.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    agree

5. Bhupinder2002

I have no idea but on my EPL2 and even now on OMD , It seem to work.
    Cheers

6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I turned them all off in all my cameras including my LX3. These filters kill details.

7. Bhupinder2002

:eek:
    I do the same thing .
    Cheers

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    From everything I have read, the IR and ID only apply to jpegs, not raw.

9. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Aren't jpeg processes reflected in the screen/viewfinder? Would some/any/all of this processing for live view count towards some lag in the system as you view it?

10. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Filters may reduce image quality but affect JPEGS only, not RAWs.

NR ( in em5) involves shooting a dark and subtracting hot pixels, not reduction in the sense of Nik or NoiseNinja software. If set to auto, NR only kicks in on long exposures. I think that starts at about a second, but check manual to be sure.

11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Correct, however it might still effect AF, and if it does I think turning them off is a no brainer especially if you shoot RAW.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Everything must be applied, in order to display accurately on the LCD/EVF. The AF system seems to work off of something similar to what we see, so changes in JPEG settings can actually effect AF performance. That said, the differences aren't very dramatic.