1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Turner's Paddock

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by pdh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010

E-P2, Lumix 20/1.7, 1/2000s, f/5, ISO200

• Like Like x 11
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

pdh, you already know how much I like this picture, but now I need do know why it's called Turner's Paddock? Not so much Turner's but a paddock?

Love the light play and the toning you've chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This photo reminds me of the Mississippi River. When I was younger I hitch hiked all across the states and slept on the bank of the river...
    When I awoke... I saw this scene almost exactly....

freaky..... btw.... what's a Paddock?

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Well a paddock is a place that horses are turned out..within a fenced area but there must be another meaning as well.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Paddock = field. Yes I wondered about the amount of water in the shot.

6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thanks to all for looking and kind comments; I really like this image.

This was taken at the Stourhead Estate in Wiltshire (Southern/Western UK) - a mostly 18th Century landscaped garden; The water in the image isn't a river, but a man-made lake, and I'd assume that the area that was flooded to make it in 1821 probably included Turner's Paddock, hence the name ... but I'm guessing.

Stourhead Garden is a honey-pot for amateur snappers, it's full of interesting views and architectural oddities, and the main garden also has a lake; the garden is planted throughout with specimen trees and so come autumn there are great cascades of colour cladding the small valleys and hillsides surrounding the lake.

• Like Like x 1