1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Turner's Paddock

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by pdh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 11
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

pdh, you already know how much I like this picture, but now I need do know why it's called Turner's Paddock? Not so much Turner's but a paddock?

Love the light play and the toning you've chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This photo reminds me of the Mississippi River. When I was younger I hitch hiked all across the states and slept on the bank of the river...
    When I awoke... I saw this scene almost exactly....

freaky..... btw.... what's a Paddock?

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Well a paddock is a place that horses are turned out..within a fenced area but there must be another meaning as well.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Paddock = field. Yes I wondered about the amount of water in the shot.

6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thanks to all for looking and kind comments; I really like this image.

This was taken at the Stourhead Estate in Wiltshire (Southern/Western UK) - a mostly 18th Century landscaped garden; The water in the image isn't a river, but a man-made lake, and I'd assume that the area that was flooded to make it in 1821 probably included Turner's Paddock, hence the name ... but I'm guessing.

Stourhead Garden is a honey-pot for amateur snappers, it's full of interesting views and architectural oddities, and the main garden also has a lake; the garden is planted throughout with specimen trees and so come autumn there are great cascades of colour cladding the small valleys and hillsides surrounding the lake.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.