Turn Off Focus Ring? [e-m10]

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lurker, Mar 31, 2015.

1. lurker

lurker New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2014
    Düsseldorf
    Hello everybody,

i was wondering if there was a way to turn off the focus ring functionality when in MF? I want to set my 17mm f2.8 to a hyper focal distance and disable the focus ring so it'll stay fixed (got lens reset disabled). Is there a way? I can't find it in the menus / manual.

Cheers!

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's no way that I know of to lock focus in manual focus mode.

You could try the following method to achieve what you want but it's not simple. Use a DOF calculator to calculate the hyperfocal distance, stand that distance away from an object and focus using autofocus, then lock your focus. If you do that, any accidental movement of the focus ring will have no effect.

If you use the pull back clutch to go into manual focus mode and then set hyperfocal distance using the DOF scale on the lens barrel, you can't go back to autofocus in order to lock the focus point without pushing the clutch back into auto position and it's probably not possible to do that without shifting the focus of the lens in the process though you can experiment and see if you can manage it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. lurker

lurker New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2014
    Düsseldorf
    Alright, thanks mate, that's not too bad of a workaround.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm confused... he said the f2.8 version, didn't he?

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A little tape? :)

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If you use back-button focus (AF mode 3 from memory) and then set AF mode to AF-S (without MF). Then, use the AEL button to focus on a specific point at the hyperfocal distance. Don't touch it again until and the focus will stay set. The focus ring won't do anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. lurker

lurker New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2014
    Düsseldorf
    Yes, i have the 2.8. However, the AF / lock works well with this lens too. Somehow that didn't cross my mind, though i had been using the focus lock before - i was just thinking too manually i guess.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, he did. I misread and assumed the f/1.8 lens so my description of the use of the clutch mechanism is not relevant.

9. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    What Paul said, set the AE Lock button to do Focus and not Exposure. Although you could start in S-AF+MF, manually focus to Hyperfocal distance, and then switch to S-AF (with no MF). You'll get the same result, the focus ring will be disabled and the shutter won't activate AF.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Essentially, back button focus. That's a great solution, why didn't I think of that!