Turn IS Off on a Tripod?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Heavy Doody, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    In my DSLR days I always turned in-lens IS off when shooting on a tripod. Especially with longer exposures.

I'm watching the Lynda.com title on MFT photography, and Scott Bourne has said a few times now that this isn't necessary when shooting with in-body IS.

Any thoughts?

2. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I should have mentioned that I'm shooting with an OMD. Thanks.

3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Having come from a D300 I've always switched off the IS when using a VR lens on a tripod. And I always turned off the ISO whenever I'm shooting at speed where hand holding my lens is not an issue. I do this now with my E-P3.

Using IS in situations where is not needed can actually cause some image issues. Hopefully the OMD users can tell you whether or not this also applies to the 5 axis system.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I shot a *TON* of stuff on my tripod while on a recent trip to Europe and never once bothered to turn IS off...no issues at all.

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I wouldn't fret too much if I forgot to turn it off but I do believe it is best practice to do so. It may well have no detrimental effect, but having taken the trouble to set up a tripod why take the risk?

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I have had no problems with macro or telephoto shots when mounted on a tripod. The manual does say to turn off IS when shootng on a tripod though.

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I *think* I read if you're doing long expures it turns off IBIS if the shutter's open longer than 2 seconds.

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    zomg...is your username from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly??? :D

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    One experiment is worth 1,000 internet opinions.

11. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    One of the many advantages when shooting with a Panasonic, I don't have to worry about IS with most of my lenses.... :wink:

12. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    What does IS have the potential to do when shooting on a tripod?

13. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
  14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Yep, the man next to the man with no name :thumbup:

15. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I'm sure if there were digital cameras back in the civil war era, Blondie would definitely have an OMD E-M5. It'd fit right in his saddlebag, no problem.

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    One of the many advantages when shooting with the OM-D, I don't have to worry about IS lenses (which tend to be bigger, heavier and more expensive...*IF* they are available at all). ;) And, besides, as I've mentioned...I've taken tons of pics with the OM-D on a tripod (exposure times varying from 1 or 2 seconds to 60 seconds), never bothered turning the IBIS off, and it's never been an issue!

Nice!!! Every time I read your username, I read it in Tuco's voice. ;)

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The problem is that one experiment very often isn't totally conclusive. It's like clinical trials of a new medication, very often the more people involved the better. :smile:

18. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I use stabilization when I'm shooting with my 4/3 50-200 with a 2x teleconverter. I think it does sharpen the images when shooting below about 1/800 or so. I usually end up manually focusing that lens (EM-1 here I come), and it makes that WAY easier.

19. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    If anyone watched the "Micro Four-Thirds" course on Lynda.com where they demoed an OM-D and a panasonic, you'd notice that they say that you don't have to turn off IS when mounting on a tripod.

I've done it a zillion times, mostly with table-top stuff and models, and never had a problem.