Turn IS Off on a Tripod?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Heavy Doody, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    In my DSLR days I always turned in-lens IS off when shooting on a tripod. Especially with longer exposures.

I'm watching the Lynda.com title on MFT photography, and Scott Bourne has said a few times now that this isn't necessary when shooting with in-body IS.

Any thoughts?

2. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I should have mentioned that I'm shooting with an OMD. Thanks.

3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Having come from a D300 I've always switched off the IS when using a VR lens on a tripod. And I always turned off the ISO whenever I'm shooting at speed where hand holding my lens is not an issue. I do this now with my E-P3.

Using IS in situations where is not needed can actually cause some image issues. Hopefully the OMD users can tell you whether or not this also applies to the 5 axis system.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I shot a *TON* of stuff on my tripod while on a recent trip to Europe and never once bothered to turn IS off...no issues at all.

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I wouldn't fret too much if I forgot to turn it off but I do believe it is best practice to do so. It may well have no detrimental effect, but having taken the trouble to set up a tripod why take the risk?

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I have had no problems with macro or telephoto shots when mounted on a tripod. The manual does say to turn off IS when shootng on a tripod though.

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I *think* I read if you're doing long expures it turns off IBIS if the shutter's open longer than 2 seconds.

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    zomg...is your username from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly??? :D 

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    One experiment is worth 1,000 internet opinions.

11. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    One of the many advantages when shooting with a Panasonic, I don't have to worry about IS with most of my lenses.... :wink:

12. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    What does IS have the potential to do when shooting on a tripod?

13. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
  14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Yep, the man next to the man with no name :thumbup:

15. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I'm sure if there were digital cameras back in the civil war era, Blondie would definitely have an OMD E-M5. It'd fit right in his saddlebag, no problem.

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    One of the many advantages when shooting with the OM-D, I don't have to worry about IS lenses (which tend to be bigger, heavier and more expensive...*IF* they are available at all). ;)  And, besides, as I've mentioned...I've taken tons of pics with the OM-D on a tripod (exposure times varying from 1 or 2 seconds to 60 seconds), never bothered turning the IBIS off, and it's never been an issue!

Nice!!! Every time I read your username, I read it in Tuco's voice. ;) 

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The problem is that one experiment very often isn't totally conclusive. It's like clinical trials of a new medication, very often the more people involved the better. :smile:

18. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I use stabilization when I'm shooting with my 4/3 50-200 with a 2x teleconverter. I think it does sharpen the images when shooting below about 1/800 or so. I usually end up manually focusing that lens (EM-1 here I come), and it makes that WAY easier.

19. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    If anyone watched the "Micro Four-Thirds" course on Lynda.com where they demoed an OM-D and a panasonic, you'd notice that they say that you don't have to turn off IS when mounting on a tripod.

I've done it a zillion times, mostly with table-top stuff and models, and never had a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.