Turimetta Beach at Dawn (5 Sept 2010)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Turimetta is one of Sydney's northern beaches. The lighting was crap with no cloud cover and it was fairly windy but at least when near the cliff is was sheltered. Not the greatest set but reasonable for the conditions.

All shots were taken with an Olymus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens. The first shot is a HDR composite. The rest are single exposures.

4958929807_079d5deb3d_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Turrimetta-p by peterb666, on Flickr

A few too many photographers in this shot...

4958797695_c28afd4e4a_z.jpg

Turimetta-2 by peterb666, on Flickr

4959392262_1f25036462_z.jpg

Turimetta-4 by peterb666, on Flickr

4958798435_82af4dfdfb_z.jpg

Turimetta-5 by peterb666, on Flickr

A lot of my shots had to be discarded due to spray on the filter etc but at least I had something salvagable. I highly recommend the Kata Elements covers for situations like this.

Feedback welcome.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Hi Peter,
Turimetta-p wins on atmosphere conveyed in the photograph and Turimetta-5 just wins over Turimetta-4 in terms of shutter speed used to convey movement in the waves and spray. 4 would have benefited from a slightly different speed setting I think, but rather hit and miss as I found out many many years ago when trying something similar back in my Mamiya Press camera days.

Barrie

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Thanks. Well I am glad I managed to squeeze some atmosphere out of the first shot. It needs some clouds.

The last lot of shots are really unusual for me. I set the camera onto Aperture Priority and let if find the shutter speed. They are 1/15s and 1/40 second respectively. If I were selecting the shutter in those conditions, I would normally go for around 1/15s. I am just getting over my longer is better phase where I would balk at anything quicker than 2 or 4 seconds.

Cheers

PeterB666

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Peter,
Those last shots would have been an occasion when I, paradoxically, would have selected shutter priority, my camera controls are almost stuck on aperture priority, although with each wave being different it's hit and miss as to the effect achieved, must have a go again when we get our next gale hereabouts.

Barrie

Latest threads

Top Bottom