turbo boosters and nikon lenses (bit question heavy)

newfie

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ian
I have an old 50mm 2.0 AI, a 60mm micro 2.8 G, 70-210 D, and F4 sigma 70-200 manual aperature as well as several DX lenses (a real mash-up).

From what I understand, I need a G type adapter for aperture control on G lenses but will this still be ok for the AI lenses and how does this then apply to DX?

Also, I'm wondering if gaining a stop will also increase the bokeh much or at all on the m43 sensor (for ex my 50mm 2.0 will become a 1.4 and the old sigma a 200mm 2.8)?
Wow, sounds too good to be true. Any first hand experiences?

D

Deleted member 20897

The G adapter should work fine for the lenses with aperture rings. The G adapter gives you a built in iris so that you can make the G lenses work without electrical contacts. You would leave the adapter iris wide open, and then just control the aperture setting from the lens.

The turbo booster will make the lenses appear more like they would on the sensor that they were designed for.

newfie

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ian
interesting, is there an adapter for Nikon that maintains electronics for metering, af, d, g lenses?

newfie

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ian
Yikes, focus sounds tricky with those sorts of apertures in MF, especially in the med/longer focal ranges?

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
You should also be aware that your 60mm f/2.8 Macro will go from being 1x magnification to being .71x magnification, since the focal reducer is reducing the image circle and in turn the magnification at a giving focusing distance.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
What body are you using? On my E-M10 and E-PM2 MF focus is a breeze. I also found sharp lenses tend to be easier to focus. I'm using a cheap generic focal reducer adapter on M43, and a Zhongyi Lens Turbo on my Fuji camera. If I could do it over again, I'd get the Lens Turbo for M43 as well. Though it doesn't have any way to adjust aperture on G lenses, so it's only good with Nikon lenses with aperture rings.

Here are a couple samples with the Nikon 100mm 2.8 E to give you an idea of DOF. This lens is by far my favorite lens to use when using an FR adapter.

street_la_023.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

street_la_020.jpg

TKF15631.jpg

newfie

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ian
Nice shots. Creamy background. I'm using an epm2. I'll check out the Lens Turbo and see if they make a G series. That would help.

What body are you using? On my E-M10 and E-PM2 MF focus is a breeze. I also found sharp lenses tend to be easier to focus. I'm using a cheap generic focal reducer adapter on M43, and a Zhongyi Lens Turbo on my Fuji camera. If I could do it over again, I'd get the Lens Turbo for M43 as well. Though it doesn't have any way to adjust aperture on G lenses, so it's only good with Nikon lenses with aperture rings.

Here are a couple samples with the Nikon 100mm 2.8 E to give you an idea of DOF. This lens is by far my favorite lens to use when using an FR adapter.

street_la_023.jpg

street_la_020.jpg

TKF15631.jpg

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
One option would be to buy a Canon EF Lens Turbo (they don't have contacts), then you could easily pick up a G lens to EF adapter. That would solve the aperture problem.

listers_nz

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Simon
I'm not sure if this helps, but here goes. I have a couple of Nikon Series E lenses (which are AI-s) and two of the cheaper (i.e. ebay from China) Nikon mount speed boosters. They behave slightly differently, as follows:
The "Zhongyi Lens Turbo AI-M43" has no controls as such, and the lens aperture changes as I move in the aperture ring.
The other is labelled "N/G-m4/3" and it has a collar on the upper part of its body - twist it in one direction and the lens stays wide open regardless of the aperture ring, twist it in the other direction and the aperture ring changes the aperture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom