1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tucson

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Ranger Rick, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Trip to Tucson's barrio last week, with OMD and Panny 25 and 14-45mm:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Nice photos. I miss Arizona was there (Phoenix) 1982-85. A teenage daughter and I used to make photo safaris every oppurtunity.

One great photo site near Tucson is San Xavier du Bac. Have not been there since the mid 80s tho. Another is the Boyce-Thompson Arboreteum. They had a large Boojum tree which at that time (1985) was spectacular.

Thanks again for posting.

Thanks again.

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    If you want to see boojums and spectacular rocks (better than Joshua Tree,Ca) drive down to Catavina, Baja California, Mexico. From there are where boojums come. In fact, drive to Cabo San Lucas for an amazing photographic journey!

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Beautiful color, nice set! :thumbup:

5. Thanks, a definite, "This I did not know".

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks for these - I grew up in Tucson, moved there when I was 9 in '68 and i stayed through the mid-'80s, with a few years away for college. I've been back for a few quick visits with old friends, but haven't spent any serious time there in close to 30 years. We lived a few miles north and east of the barrio, but I lived not far from there for a couple years in my early 20's. The barrio looks a lot better now - probably somewhat gentrified. It was pretty beat up when I lived there, but the best restaurants ANYWHERE were down there. But that wooden door with the two cactus planters could have been anywhere - looks pretty similar to our front door from my childhood home. And San Xavier was ALWAYS beautiful. I can't say I really miss the place anymore, it's changed SOOOO much, but there's always something about where you grew up. The desert is still sort of in my bones, all these years later.

This was a nice quick visit back...

-Ray

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Rick, you are an Ar-tist. Love your stuff.

G

8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Anyone who might be considering this trip, I suggest going down thru Tecate. You can enjoy the "Vina Cola", the only renowned wine country in Mexico and bypass Tijuana, etc. Try to get past San Quintin if you plan on camping. From El Rosario on, you couldn't be safer for overnight camping. There are numerous Franciscan/Jesuit missions, indigenous cave and wall paintings, beautiful desert and semi-tropical ocean landscapes, and friendly people. For the most part, spanish is not required.

9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I was stationed in Sierra Vista (Fort Huachuca) and wished I had a good camera. About 12 months later I got one from the PX.

It must be nice to have sunlight all the time...

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Wonderful color, symmetry and overall composition on these. Thanks for sharing :thumbup: