1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tuatara

Discussion in 'Nature' started by deirdre, Sep 3, 2010.

1. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Not the world's greatest shot, granted, but even putting the camera on a railing moved too much in a 3.2 second exposure.

I note that none of the other Zealandia visitor photos showed a Tuatara by night, but there is one photo of one by day.

It's not a lizard, it's the only surviving member of the Sphenodontia order. and a lineage dating back to the Mesozoic.

Thanks to phigmov who suggested a visit to Zealandia, it's definitely worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I have been reading about the Tuatara ever since I was a kid and had grown an interest in natural history.

Speaking of which -- you get all kinds of interesting animals down under on those big islands. I wish I were there sometime...

3. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, I'm on vacation. Normally, I'm in the San Francisco area.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I too have been fascinated by the tuatara since a kid and its dinosaur lineage and third eye - at least that's what my childrens' encyclopedia said some 55 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatara

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yup, definitely a lizard.

6. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Actually, technically tuatara isn't a lizard. Lizards are a part of Lacertilia and tuataras are not, but are instead under Sphenodontia. The tuatara is the only remaining living genus from Sphenodontia.

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010