1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tuatara

Discussion in 'Nature' started by deirdre, Sep 3, 2010.

1. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Not the world's greatest shot, granted, but even putting the camera on a railing moved too much in a 3.2 second exposure.

View attachment 149674

I note that none of the other Zealandia visitor photos showed a Tuatara by night, but there is one photo of one by day.

It's not a lizard, it's the only surviving member of the Sphenodontia order. and a lineage dating back to the Mesozoic.

Thanks to phigmov who suggested a visit to Zealandia, it's definitely worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I have been reading about the Tuatara ever since I was a kid and had grown an interest in natural history.

Speaking of which -- you get all kinds of interesting animals down under on those big islands. I wish I were there sometime...

3. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, I'm on vacation. Normally, I'm in the San Francisco area.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I too have been fascinated by the tuatara since a kid and its dinosaur lineage and third eye - at least that's what my childrens' encyclopedia said some 55 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatara

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yup, definitely a lizard.

6. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    Actually, technically tuatara isn't a lizard. Lizards are a part of Lacertilia and tuataras are not, but are instead under Sphenodontia. The tuatara is the only remaining living genus from Sphenodontia.

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.