"TTL Pass-through" Radio Triggers -- Will Canon model work for Panasonic TTL?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by scott, Jun 4, 2013.

1. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I'm trying to set up a Panasonic-compatible flash on one of my G5s to act as the main TTL flash *and* set off a slaved Yongnuo 460-II as a fill flash (with the level set manually). With my macro subjects, optical slaving is not reliable--fairly often, the slave flash doesn't trigger. So far, trying to trigger the slave via a PC cable isn't working, and it seems to be the fault of my Canon-compatible hot-shoe/PC-port adapter. (I tested the slave flash with a non-TTL hot-shoe/PC adapter, and the flash fires--but of course I don't get TTL on the main flash that way.)

So, for the moment, I'm (reluctantly) considering using a radio trigger. However, I really don't want to get into calculating manual flash exposure. I want the main flash to be TTL.

So far, I haven't found a "TTL pass-through" radio trigger that's specifically for Olympus/Panasonic. Since I've been using a Canon-compatible TTTL flash cable to fire my main flash, I was wondering if a Canon-compatible TTL pass-through radio trigger would correctly the fire my main TTL flash *and* trigger the slave.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure about the 460 but the YN560 has several optical trigger modes - one of which is to ignore the preflash from TTL or red eye type preflash stuff. I guess if you are not able to get reliable optical triggering that won't really help.

Maybe time for a DIY hack to put your slave optical sensor on a remote cable and just mount it close to the main flash.

Or, if you are handy with electronics maybe a 'relay' with an optical sensor (phototransistor, etc) on one end and a LED on the other - mount the sensor near your main and the LED near the slave sensor. That way you don't have to hack your flash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.