"TTL Pass-through" Radio Triggers -- Will Canon model work for Panasonic TTL?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by scott, Jun 4, 2013.

1. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I'm trying to set up a Panasonic-compatible flash on one of my G5s to act as the main TTL flash *and* set off a slaved Yongnuo 460-II as a fill flash (with the level set manually). With my macro subjects, optical slaving is not reliable--fairly often, the slave flash doesn't trigger. So far, trying to trigger the slave via a PC cable isn't working, and it seems to be the fault of my Canon-compatible hot-shoe/PC-port adapter. (I tested the slave flash with a non-TTL hot-shoe/PC adapter, and the flash fires--but of course I don't get TTL on the main flash that way.)

So, for the moment, I'm (reluctantly) considering using a radio trigger. However, I really don't want to get into calculating manual flash exposure. I want the main flash to be TTL.

So far, I haven't found a "TTL pass-through" radio trigger that's specifically for Olympus/Panasonic. Since I've been using a Canon-compatible TTTL flash cable to fire my main flash, I was wondering if a Canon-compatible TTL pass-through radio trigger would correctly the fire my main TTL flash *and* trigger the slave.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure about the 460 but the YN560 has several optical trigger modes - one of which is to ignore the preflash from TTL or red eye type preflash stuff. I guess if you are not able to get reliable optical triggering that won't really help.

Maybe time for a DIY hack to put your slave optical sensor on a remote cable and just mount it close to the main flash.

Or, if you are handy with electronics maybe a 'relay' with an optical sensor (phototransistor, etc) on one end and a LED on the other - mount the sensor near your main and the LED near the slave sensor. That way you don't have to hack your flash.