1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TTL flash cable?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JoJo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I am going back to my Oly FL50 flashes but I will be using a flash bracket. Can anyone recommend a really sturdy (tried and proven) hot shoe TTL cable to connect the camera to the flash? I hope to find something with metal construction.

I really don't like using cables but I have no options in this instance.

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Something like this Canon cable (which lines up with the Olympus pins) would do it nicely.

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Canon TTL cables will work. I like the Canon because the it has a locking pin to keep the cable seated in the camera hot shoe.

8716837540_65776f4b64.

Mike

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use a Canon off-camera shoe cord 2 as well and it works perfectly.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I use the Olympus CABLE FLASH FL-CB05.
    Paid $15 for it, Works Great..

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Just out of curiosity, the Canon OC-2 cable, as far as I know, has a couple of resistors wired in series to tell the off-camera flash that it's off camera... I take it nobody's noticed that it's had an effect when using it with an Olympus flash?

7. Ross the fiddler

Could that be in the unused connection of the Canon cable for Olympus flash system?

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Nikon cables will NOT work!!!!!

Nikon cables have TTL pins in different locations than Olympus & Canon!

• Like Like x 3
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  10. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
  11. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Thanks everyone. The Canon OC-2 cable looks like a dependable choice. Now, to find a killer deal on two!

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have the Oly one if you're interested. Throw me an offer in a PM.

13. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    At the risk of sounding snarky: the difference is you get TTL with a TTL flash cable and you don't with the other one.

Reading the other one's description, it is simply a wired trigger with no more complexity than a flash sync socket. No communication between the flash and the camera. So you lose TTL control of flash output, no controlling FEC from the camera, no flash head zoom sync with lens focal length, no remote TTL control of other flashes, and probably more.

I could be misreading the description, but that sure is what it looks like given it's using a two-conductor connector.

• Like Like x 1
  14. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I edited my original post to reflect this. I thought I used a Nikon TTL cable with my u4/3 cameras but I could be wrong. The Canon OC-2 cable works great.

Mike

15. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    According to this post: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=701740 About a quarter of the way down the page he has the flash side de-soldered and you can see the resistor hanging off the hot pin.

It is on the hot/trigger pin. So it does appear to be mounted to a pin used by the Olympus flash system - but it doesn't seem to affect anything.
    Hmmm... I guess my OC-2 cord is good to go! Although I don't use TTL for flash right now - I use an older MZ40-3 in Auto mode...

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, that's the answer!

17. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    The canon cable does work with the Olympus camera, but it will not work with the Olympus EM-1. I used it with the EM-5, but after I purchased the EM-1, it no longer worked. I ended up having to purchase the FL-CB05 which works great. I was using the FL600 flash.

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's rather interesting. I tested my cable and sure enough, it won't work in auto mode (or slow sync etc), but it does work when set to fill flash. Now I'm wondering why that would be the case.

19. Ross the fiddler

I have a Yongnuo OC-E3 off camera cable (for Canon & suitable for Olympus) that (I had to dig out of my buried gear &) I tried with both the E-M5 & E-M1 with an FL50R flash & it works fine. I measured the resistance in the trigger connection as 120kΩ (positive on flash connection & negative at camera end) but after opening I realised it was actually a diode with anode connecting to flash & that is its forward resistance only (typically half a volt drop across it) so it would seem the FL600R may not like that perhaps. I would be interested to know if the FL-CB05 cable uses a diode or not. Do you have any means (multimeter) to measure it?

20. Ross the fiddler

Unfortunately, the price here for Olympus FL-CB05 Flash Extension Cable is $137.00