TTL Flash and Live View on E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Apr 3, 2014.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Question, if I get a TTL flash, will Live View reflect the estimated exposure?

So right now, when I use manual flash and shoot in M, I get a very dim view without Live View Boost. I was wondering if I were to get a TTL flash and shoot in A mode, what happens?

I will always be either bouncing the flash or use a light modifier.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Why not try it and see for your self, then give us your thoughts.

3. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't have a TTL flash and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to get one.

4. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Doesn't on my e-m5.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Live view is exactly what it sounds like, you're viewing the scene as it appears, with the CAMERA exposure settings applied. In order to see what the FLASH will show, it has to actually fire. The best way to test flash results is to take a test shot.

If your complaint is that the viewfinder is too dark (because you're trying to kill the ambient light), then the better solution would be to turn off the live view for flash use.

6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    nope. on top of that, in my experience, olympus TTL flash has its own metering mode too, which overrides whatever metering mode you've normally selected.

if you have an EM1, you can try it with the clip on FL-LM2 flash it came with. try bouncing it off the ceiling with a pocket mirror or some aluminum foil.

7. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Short answer: No.

Long answer:
    You have two independent exposures:

1. The exposure for ambient light, that is what you see in LiveView.
    2. The exposure for flash, in you SCP you have a separate +-X EV field. This is only for TTL flash.

You have to mix the two independent light sources yourself, needs some time and some test shots to get used to this. Most of the time you still want some ambient light because thescene might look "dead" without it.

If you set exposure for ambient very low (e.g -3EV the monitor goes nearly black. You should set up a MySet for flash mode where "LiveView Boost =ON". You will no longer see the actuel exposure, but for sure it is better than a dark or black screen.

Maybe some day I will buy a strong LED light or something like this. Would be easier to use than flash and all these flash test shots ...

Christof