1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TTL, Delay & People

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by b_rubenstein, Jan 15, 2013.

1. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've done wedding photography for years. With µ4/3 I almost always use available light, but I was going to shoot a surprise birthday party in a dark restaurant and decided to use my OM-D & Metz AF50-1. Although I tried everything out at home, I was primarily checking exposure and didn't pay enough attention to the small delay between pressing the shutter button and the exposure being made in TTL flash mode.

The time it takes to fire the pre-flash, measure the light and then take the exposure is long enough to make it very iffy to get fleeting expressions. The Metz only has TTL and manual mode, so I switched to manual mode which has no delay. When I got home, I tried the little Olympus flash that comes with the OM-D, and that has the same delay in TTL mode: it's not a Metz issue.

In the future, I'll use my Nikon flashes in Auto mode people photography.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Doesn't the 50-AF1 have auto mode? The 58 did.

The issue is that the camera reads the preflash off the sensor, unlike a DSLR which uses an independant sensor. There's also a delay on a normal DSLR but with modern cameras it's almost un measurable.

The auto mode for TTL Olympus compatible flashes is the solution. The ISO and aperture settings are still passed to the flash but the exposure is calculated by the sensor in the flash rather than the camera. SO there is effectively no delay. The only thing is that any FEC must be done through the flash itself. On any other camera the flash(es) operates as a normal auto flash. It only has this "semi TTL" mode on Olympus and Panasonic cameras.

It's a shame the 50 series doesn't have the auto mode. It's excellent on the 58 series and any OEM flash.

Gordon

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    After years with the Nikon flash system, I never gave TTL flash delay with Olympus any thought. Sorry top say the 50 doesn't have auto.

Another downside to using a non-dedicated flash is that the camera really has to be in manual mode, so the screen/viewfinder goes very dark. Fortunately, I do very little flash photography with this system.

4. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Check to ensure you are not using second curtain sync.
    That alone will add a slight gap between pre-flash and exposure.