TTL cord or Trigger for OMD FL600

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, May 3, 2013.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010

i searched the forums, cant find answer.

I dont really like using the RC mode cause of the direct "flash" needed to fire the flash..

i was watching a video on the x100s, and he used a CANON TTL cord to fire his FUJI Flash.

is there an oem oly accessory for this?
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yes, there is. Can't remember the model number off the top of my head, but the reviews I read said the cord was too stiff, etc. I got this one, works great and much cheaper: JJC E-TTL Off-Camera Shoe Flash Extension Cord for Olympus E-3, E-1, EVOLT E-510, E-500, E-420, E-410, E330, E-300 Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
  3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    You can use Canon cords for Olympus cameras. They have one extra wire which won't hurt and the contacts are in the right space / pitch.
    Canon cords are easier to get and less expensive, so that's what I did.
  4. dlinn

dlinn New to Mu-43

May 3, 2013
    My understanding is that the camera-mounted flash fires before the shutter opens and therefore doesn't contribute to the image, but just triggers the external flash?
  5. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    If you want radio controlled flash, the Phottix Strato II's for Canon work perfectly with Olympus; no ttl though.
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually the "direct flash" has little or no effect on the image because it is just a short burst at the beginning of the exposure to trigger the other flashes IF you have internal flash mode on the RC screen set to OFF (this is the setting in the bottom-left corner of the RC screen...the internal flash still fires to trigger the other flashes, but doesn't influence the exposure). If you have the internal flash mode on the RC screen set to something other than "OFF", then it IS included in the exposure!

If you go to the following link, you will see three images I shot at knee height under my desk using different RC communication setting levels (Low, Med, High); if the remote flashes are close to the camera and ambient light isn't too bright, you can use the low setting which doesn't light up the scene at all, even from 2 feet away:
    Mike_PEAT: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

The RC mode screen I'm referring to can be seen on page 97 of the english manual downloaded from Oly's Japan (head office) site; I don't have the camera in front of me to confirm the screen but I do have my internal flash mode always set to OFF when using RC Mode.
  7. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I can verify this- I have a (relatively) cheap canon TTL cable (this one here) and it works like a charm, at least with my OMD and FL600R. It's not the highest rated cable on Amazon, but it's worked fine for both my Canon and Oly cameras.

Good luck!