TTL confusion

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Toddster, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I need a little help concerning TTL flash. I have attempted to research this through the forums and I repeatedly see things like "TTL flash only works on m4/3 TTL compatible flashes from Olympus, Panasonic, and Metz". However when I look over at B&H I see brands like Bolt, Bower and Nissin listed as having a TTL compatibility with Olympus and Panasonic. Please set me straight. Are these other brands not fully TTL compatible? Or is there something else that I am missing here?

Thanks, Todd

2. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Anyone?

3. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Bump. Interested in getting this verified too.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm a bit dubious, but if they state that the flash units are fully compatible and provide TTL control, which they do say, then they must be fully compatible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I think it may be that people giving that advice aren't aware that some of the smaller third party manufacturers have models with m43 compatibility. If you purchase from a legit dealer with a decent return policy you'll be covered if the compatibility is less than complete. I haven't heard any complaints about the Chinese made units.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  6. rrunnertexas

rrunnertexas Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2013
    Arlington, Texas
    I have used the Nissin units on my G3 and they are TTL compatible. Work great and adjust as needed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Testing mine on my G6 it seems that they are TTL compatible when used as the primary flash, but only work as manual strobe if using as wireless slave. I thought at first that if I had TTL or slave selected then I was getting TTL (as luck had it it was exposing perfectly) but later results show that I was mistaken. I am now trying to get the hang of manual set up. It's not such a problem indoors but I think it may not be too good for macro photography outdoors. By the time I've figured it the subject will have run or flown away!

8. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Nissin is a company I have heard about over, and over, and over again over the years.

In 1997 I attended a small workshop in New York with Susan McCartney. She was doing a flash-photography course.
    When we started talking about third-party flashes, Nissin came up. She and a few others I've spoken to seem to think that Nissin OEM'ed a number of the lower-end TTL Nikon flash units from the 90s like the SB-22, SB-23 and various Sunpak flashes. They may have also OEMed for Olympus and Minolta too. A few years later I was in Syracuse and met a couple who carried 6 Nissin flash units - all Nikon TTL running off their F90x cameras. Then again and again I saw them until everything went digital and I didn't see them for a while.

Now, all of a sudden, they're back. I'd trust a Nissin. As far as I know, Bower are made by Nissin. Bolt, I'm not sure - I'd have to crack one open and look at the board inside.

9. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    IMHO if there is no HSS on a TTL flash, I would rather get an old fashioned automatic flash, such as vivitar 285HV and Sunpak 422D.

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Except that new 285HVs are really poorly made. About 6 years ago Vivitar changed the factory that made them and altered the spec a little. They're now very unreliable and a few have mysteriously high trigger voltages.

I liked the 422D - I had a 120J as well. What a beast!