1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TT making Micro 4/3 specific bags

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Savas K, May 3, 2013.

1. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Those are pretty cool bags! I particularly like the 30i. Thanks for posting the link.

3. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    My next bag (whenever my current ones become i useable or unsightly) will probably be from TT.

4. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    I just ordered a City Walker 10
    These look nice,
    The 30 could be bigger, about the size of my Lowepro Exchange messenger.
    If I didn't already have the Lowepro, the 30 would be nice for a smaller kit
    Need something for a longer lens (100-300)and extra room.
    Nice price for entry Think Tank!
    Good to see some real world prices.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I like those prices. Will be excited to have a look at these once I can get a hand on them in local stores.

6. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    I've had more TT gear than I care to think about, and mostly love it. But some of their recent offerings have me scratching my head. I got and use the City Walker 10, but ended up removing the huge and unnecessary insert, made my own bottom stiffener, and configured the interior with a couple other TT leftover pieces.
    They now have a huge range of options for all tastes, which is a good thing, just not for me.
    The Mirrorless Mover 30i seems nice, but I don't quite get why you need/want a flap that closes over zippered front pockets, and have to still open the main zippered compartment.
    But if there were a perfect bag, we'd all have one!

7. pcdawg

pcdawg Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Got a picture of your modified city walker 10? I dont like the insert as well as its pretty bulky and takes up space as it seems it can store alot more gear and accessories with some custom insert.

8. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Inserts are tough to figure for micro 4/3, especially when a body like the E-M5 can transform from small body to large; it's lenses can range from pancake to a 100-300. Contrasted with the user who loves small primes and pen bodies.

9. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    YES! This will definitely be my next bag. I currently have a Retrospective 30 from my DSLR days and it's quite big for my OMD/lenses. I love TT products.

10. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Those are cool. It's nice to see companies embracing Micro 4/3 and building things specifically for it.

I got a TT Retrospective 7 for my OM-D setup and I couldn't be happier. Fits everything including my 13" MacBook Air (meant for 11" but I can still squeeze my 13" in there in different ways).

11. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    What camera and lenses are you carrying in it ?

12. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Apologies in advance for the simple shot, I just figured I could take a quick picture of what typically goes in my bag for you to visualize.

3146jhd.

Blacked out OM-D E-M5 with Fujian 35mm 1.7 C-mount CCTV lens (adapted) mounted and red Gordy Strap attached
    Olympus HLD‑6 Grip
    Sigma 19mm F2.8
    Olympus 12-50mm F3.5-6.3
    iPad Mini and SD to Lightning Cable Adapter
    13" MacBook Air with 45w power adapter
    BlackRapid Strap
    BLN‑1 Charger
    Moleskine notebook
    Tiffen ND Filter
    Simple Bower TTL Flash
    Mophie Juice Pack for my iPhone and iPad while on the road

All fits nice and tight and the bag is still slim!

13. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    The 30i looks like a near clone on the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 I frequently carry.

14. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Hmm...the only thing I like about this series is that it's lightweight.

Other than that, the look and design of it falls short of the Retrospective and City Walker series.

Maybe it looks better in person.

15. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The Retrospective line up is my favorite looking camera bag for sure. I thought about getting my R7 for a while and then finally took the plunge. Loving it.

16. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Sure! Pulled out the included insert. Went to art supply store and got a sheet of this
    Corrugated Plastic Panels - BLICK art materials

Cut two pieces and glued them together, with channels perpendicular for strength. Found a piece of yellow craft foam to glue on for visibility. (Michael's)

Put two strips of velcro on the bottom to match up with the TT bottom.
    So now the bottom of the bag is stiff.

Used an insert from an old TT Chimp Cage.

Yes, the 12 & 45 currently sit loose side-by side, but I'm not obsessive.

HTH

Attached Files:

17. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    I am taking with a grain of salt the new bags by TT. Take a look at the gear that TT selected to be featured in each size bag. If the photographer brings little and carries lightly, it's a good choice. Compare it with what you normally carry as a reality check.

Right off the bat, I see one of olympus' smaller optional flash units in one of the TT photos. I carry an FL-600R. I don't see a 100-400 with it's hood in any of the images.

18. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    My thoughts exactly- see my previous post
    see my equipment below
    Like to have a bag with more room than I need,
    It'll will get fillled up.

19. pcdawg

pcdawg Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks. Thats a great idea in making your own base. It just makes it more customizable in putting any insert or accessories inside.

20. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Sadly these bags don't seem to have much in the way of applicable features. I think they're ugly, and while the magnets are a novel idea, unless they're rare earth/neodymium or something really strong, it would seem to be a non-functional feature. Besides, isn't there something bad about putting magnets next to screens?

Then again, I'm not too aware on how many smallish bags there are out there. I've got a small Kata that works pretty great, so I know there are options. I just don't feel the need to put an iPad in a camera bag. Maybe that's just me. It was mentioned in another thread about tethering your camera with a wifi card, so that might be a legit reason, but my Micro Four-Thirds is just that: Micro. And I'd like to keep it that way.

Oh oh, and another thing. My experiences with YKK zippers have been less than stellar. Maybe they have different types and not all of their zippers have the same quality, but that alone almost makes me want to stay away.