TSA & carry on tripod/monopod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by noelh, Feb 14, 2012.

1. A poll of peoples experience in packing a tri- or monopod in their carry-on luggage. TSA is a bit vague regarding the status of pods. "Up to the individual baggage inspector..".

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My solution was to buy a cheap tripod so that if a problem came up I'd just ditch it and call it a day. Taken it on flights on two trips now without a peep. If it fits in your carry on, and you have other camera gear, I don't think it will become an issue.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    TSA hasn't bothered me about it so far. But it's TSA -- YMMV.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I put my tripod in a suitcase. Everything else carried on with me.

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, I did that a few years ago on a trip to Israel. Never hassled but one of the legs on my CF Gitzo got cracked. Super Glue to the rescue. :smile:

6. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I've been mildly hassled about my Manfroto monopod a few times by the morons at TSA.

7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

HEY! No politics. :biggrin:

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Never had a problem, I think if you have the spike feet, they might say something

9. I always check in my monopod or tripod into check-in luggage. Never had a problem but I have noticed a few times that there was a tag on the luggage indicating that it was marked for inspection (and possibly opened). I could see someone seeing a bunch of tube like structures in Xray and perhaps getting a bit concerned. No biggie.

I always carry the system itself on me as a carry on in a pelican 1510. Yes... TSA has stopped me on several occasions for a closer look. Usually requesting that I take a few lenses out for them to look through.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Nikon used to market a tabletop tripod in a pouch. Probably for spotting scopes. Want to know how I know it looks just like a pistol in x-rayed luggage?

Other than that, never been a problem, AND it had spiked feet (retracted of course). I had more problems with big lenses than tripods.

11. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I had my tripod in my carry on fairly recently (August) and didn't have any issues. I'm pretty sure I mentioned to them that there was a camera tripod in the bag before it went through the scanner, but they didn't bother hand searching through anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.