TSA & carry on tripod/monopod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by noelh, Feb 14, 2012.

1. A poll of peoples experience in packing a tri- or monopod in their carry-on luggage. TSA is a bit vague regarding the status of pods. "Up to the individual baggage inspector..".

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My solution was to buy a cheap tripod so that if a problem came up I'd just ditch it and call it a day. Taken it on flights on two trips now without a peep. If it fits in your carry on, and you have other camera gear, I don't think it will become an issue.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    TSA hasn't bothered me about it so far. But it's TSA -- YMMV.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I put my tripod in a suitcase. Everything else carried on with me.

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, I did that a few years ago on a trip to Israel. Never hassled but one of the legs on my CF Gitzo got cracked. Super Glue to the rescue. :smile:

6. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I've been mildly hassled about my Manfroto monopod a few times by the morons at TSA.

7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

HEY! No politics. :biggrin:

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Never had a problem, I think if you have the spike feet, they might say something

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I always check in my monopod or tripod into check-in luggage. Never had a problem but I have noticed a few times that there was a tag on the luggage indicating that it was marked for inspection (and possibly opened). I could see someone seeing a bunch of tube like structures in Xray and perhaps getting a bit concerned. No biggie.

I always carry the system itself on me as a carry on in a pelican 1510. Yes... TSA has stopped me on several occasions for a closer look. Usually requesting that I take a few lenses out for them to look through.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Nikon used to market a tabletop tripod in a pouch. Probably for spotting scopes. Want to know how I know it looks just like a pistol in x-rayed luggage?

Other than that, never been a problem, AND it had spiked feet (retracted of course). I had more problems with big lenses than tripods.

11. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I had my tripod in my carry on fairly recently (August) and didn't have any issues. I'm pretty sure I mentioned to them that there was a camera tripod in the bag before it went through the scanner, but they didn't bother hand searching through anything.