Trying to update my M1X firmware - so far no joy at all, "Failed to communicate with server"

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Anyone have any idea how to tell if the Olympus server is down? And/or if so, how to figure out when it might be back up? I was successful in getting Olympus Workspace to update. Or if there is a way to just download the darned update and do it locally?

I just found this older thread:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/oly-cam-updater-2-13-failed-to-communicate-w-server.102081/

There is an alternative method here, I have downloaded the M1X BIN file, but as this is not an offical Olympus site, as far as I can tell, I am a bit hesitant. Anyone have any experience with this site?

Last edited:

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Rookie
I did my EM-1X last week through Olympus Workspace not sure if you have tried that but I opened it then on the top menu went to camera and updated from there you need your camera connected and it will go to storage .
Hope this helps.
Rob.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I have used lightsnowdev in the past to regress a firmware back to an earlier version, and it worked fine.
But of course it only does bodies, so you still need the updater to do a lens, so may as well also do the body at the same time. I use the Updater at v 2.1.3.

Eric83

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Eric Martinet
[QUOTE = "djtaylor7, poste: 1308406, membre: 15650"]
Je l'ai utilisé lightsnowdev dans le passé régressent d'un firmware retour à une version antérieure, et il a bien fonctionné.
Mais bien sûr, il ne fait que les corps, donc vous devez toujours Updater faire une lentille, donc peut aussi bien faire aussi le corps en même temps. J'utilise Updater à v 2.1.3.
[/CITATION]

Eric83

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Eric Martinet
Translated with Deepl, My English is bad.
Have you downloaded both software:
- olympus workspace (cannot work alone)
- olympus digital camera updater (can work alone)

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
First you update Olympus Workspace - Go to Help/Update software. That will give you version 2.2 of the updater WITHIN Workspace. Then you run the camera updater from the Workspace menu. Go to Camera/Update.

Are you setting the camera to storage mode after starting the updater? You must.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
I updated Workspace first, when I look at Workspace About it shows V1.1. Camera Updater show Ver: 2.2. I am connected for power with the Olympus AC Adapter, I thought this might be the issue as well regarding batteries, so I plugged into AC. I did, like the dummy I can sometimes be, forget to actually hit OK on "Storage" when I first connected, that one got me a "Failure to Communicate with EVERYTHING" message :)

Both bodies same result with either a battery that is >90% and/or the AC Adapter. Tried with and without a lens attached as well as with and without cards in the camera. The only difference I see is that when cards are in the camera, a Windows Explorer window pops up for the card storage when the updater does a "Connect to Camera". I was able to successfully save my custom settings.

The only thing I have not yet tried is a different computer. For reference, I have done a shutdown and restart of my system, and the only antivirus I run is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

As impressed as I am becoming with the Olympus hardware, I am not nearly as enamored with the difficulty of making simple things work.

Some in this thread have mentioned a stand-alone Olympus updater, can you point me to one for the M1X? I have not been able to find one other than the updater via Workspace, which I believe, as noted by Growltiger, the proper method to use.

Rob, as stated above, that is exactly the process I followed, once I remembered to hit the OK when the camera connected.

Andy, thanks for the confirmation on the snowdev site, it is not that I am paranoid, but I am absolutely certain that people are out to get me :eek: It looked legitimate, but we must all be cautious these days.

Eric83 and SoulRebel, thanks for the info and link. If I recall correctly when I tried this link before, a month or so ago, I saw a message that it was not appropriate for the M1X. If my recollection was wrong, please let me know.

Next step is to try on another of the machines here at the house, if that doesn't work I'll try from work tomorrow. Perhaps it is some issue with my Xfinity connection, although I can get to all the other Olympus sites just fine.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

I will update if I get this figured out. We must NEVER let the computers win ...

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
The Olympus Digital Camera Updater is an alternative - worked for me when Workspace would not due to 'server communication' message.
Soulrebel supplied a link for the stand alone updater, which I have used for all digital cameras from the u8000, TG series, PEN and OM-D. I don't have a E-M1X but would be surprised if it did not support it as it does the E-M1 Mkii.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Just tried to install on my Microsoft Surface Pro. Workplace refuses to install, evidently my 2017 version of Microsoft Surface does not meet the "hardware requirements" to run the updater.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Soulrebel supplied a link for the stand alone updater, which I have used for all digital cameras from the u8000, TG series, PEN and OM-D. I don't have a E-M1X but would be surprised if it did not support it as it does the E-M1 Mkii.
I stand corrected, the stand alone updater does seem to be working, it connected no problem at all from my Surface. Workspace will not install on either my Surface or my wife's laptop. I suspect it may that neither of these have a discrete video card, which is a bit of an obnoxious restriction. Next will be trying to update the lenses with the stand alone updater, and to also see if the stand alone updater has the same issue as Workspace on my main desktop.

Thank you VERY much for pushing me in the right direction, and correcting my misunderstanding.

Still not sure what the issue is with Workspace, I will be passing that on to Olympus without a doubt.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Well, the stand alone updater runs just fine and dandy on my desktop as well. Last thing I am wondering about is which version, 32 or 64 bit, of Workspace did I install? Once the firmware is finished I think I will uninstall Workspace and try both versions. I have certainly seen stranger things cause issues.

End result, I am able to get both bodies and lenses updated, once again, thank each and every one of you, your families, loved ones, yada-yada, for helping me get through this. Now I just hope I remember this garbage next time something like this happens ....

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
It appears that I had installed the 32-bit version of Workspace on my 64-bit desktop. I uninstalled, then reinstalled the 64-bit version and all works as expected. How I very much enjoy running this stuff down. Life would be so much easier if we actually got meaningful error messages. If we did, however, I couldn't look like a bozo in front of such an august body of Olympus experts ... ouch.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
It appears that I had installed the 32-bit version of Workspace on my 64-bit desktop. I uninstalled, then reinstalled the 64-bit version and all works as expected. How I very much enjoy running this stuff down. Life would be so much easier if we actually got meaningful error messages. If we did, however, I couldn't look like a bozo in front of such an august body of Olympus experts ... ouch.
How can you tell if you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Workspace? I'm going nuts trying to use the brush(?) tool. It does all sorts of weird things and Workspace seems to be really slow again.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
On a PC, you can see where it is installed. If it is in C: - Program Files (x86) it will almost certainly be 32 bit. Just looking at my PC every one of my Olympus programs is in the 32 bit folder.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I usually make sure to download the 64-bit versions of anything that goes on my computer. I'll delete this version and load one that's definitely 64-bit when I get some free time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom