1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying to understand the Fuji X20 sensor

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by twmangrove, Jan 22, 2013.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hello Mu-43 members/other system users
    Speaking as a jpeg shooter, I'm trying to understand something about the new X20 sensor, and I suppose x-trans sensors, to get an idea of what to expect.
    In particular, I am hoping for clarification on how the X20 handles DR compared to the X10. I sort of have an idea of how the X10 works, and why it is best to use it as a six mp camera. With the X20 though, I'm of the understanding that DR might be handled differently. A software approach perhaps?
    Basically, what I want to know is can the X20 be used as a 12 mp camera without taking a hit on DR as with the X10?
    I recognize there may be better forums to pose this question on, but I've found this one to be very civil in the past, and I like that.
    Thanks kindly in advance.

2. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Hi..

I'm making some assumptions, and I'm not familiar with the X10, however the X20 by using an X-Trans sensor, will likely have more similar settings and functions as the X-Pro1, which I am somewhat familiar with.

My understand of the Dynamic Range setting is that it will automatically apply tone curve adjustments to highlights and shadows in JPG processing. I think the level of adjustment is affected by ISO, thus to take advantage of different DR settings, you need to use different ISO's. In any case, I sometimes use this function, and find the results are positive.

This would normally have no effect on RAW files, however I believe that ACR & Lightroom do recognise and act on the DR settings with RAW's. I'm thinking it's like Nikon's Active D lighting. I think Canon has something similar for highlights.

DPReview's review of the X-Pro1 may go into more detail about this function (from memory)

So.. assuming the X20 is more like the X-Pro or X-E1, and less like the X10 in this regard, the above may be useful. Otherwise I've made an ass out of me at least, and been no help at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The X20 should deal with DR the way the X100 and X-Pro / XE1 do. It increases the ISO and does some push / pull routine with the jpeg processing to increase the DR. I believe the ISO needs to be 400 for 200% and 800 for 400%. Fortunately, the larger format cameras can shoot these ISO values with essentially no noise, so it works well. Whether the smaller X20 sensor will do as well remains to be seen.

The X10 was totally different, using the EXR pixel binning to increase DR as high as 400% without changing ISO, at the expense of resolution. Then, in some modes, you could bump it further by upping the ISO, but 400% was always enough for me so I never tried for 800 or 1600%.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Thanks kindly guys. I suspected that was the catch with the X20.