Trying to understand my GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Duque, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Hello Everyone,

I got myself a GX7 with the 20mm as a kit and switched from the Sony NEX system over to m4/3. I was switching between E-M5 and GX7 for a while but then went for the Pana for several reasons.
    Now a few weeks later I do have some general questions that I find some answers to online (but want to make sure it really is like that), comming from the NEX system I did find it disapointing to see that Live Preview or Constat Preview is only in M Mode and not in A/S.
    - Is this Constant Preview always like that, also with other Pana or Oly Cams ?
    - Why is it not available, it's a mirrorless camera and I thought that is one of the main advantages of mirrorless cameras!

Front/Rear Dials:
    - Why or how do I change/add functions to the rear dial when in A Mode
    + in A mode the Front and Rear dial have Aperture to change, why can I not change the rear to ISO/E Shutter/Focus Peaking or something else ?
    - Why is it not possible or how is it possible that if I am in creative mode or so (well my wife) with one of the dials she can change the style/filter ?

Now after all I am really happy with my GX7 and besides the sometimes slow AF with the 20mm or the Focus hunting in low light I can't complain (besides the mentioned questions/findings above)
    There is one issue that I do encounter new the second time already where "WB" or "Exposure" is so off. (now I am not a pro or anything like it, so I am only guessing it has to do with those two things). I added 2 Pictures of that booth at a fair, but besides getting blury and somewhat not in focus (focus was locked on the "Gl├╝hwein" sign) it's also totally of in regards to light (exposure ?)

I appriciate any help and tips I can get on those questions. Also added a 3rd pic of the 20mm at 1,7 which I think came out nice.

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Attached Files:

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    It's easy to change the way the two wheels work. Go to the Custom menu (wrench+C), and on screen 7 select Dial Set.
    Assign Dial chooses Fstop on front and SS on rear, or reversed.
    Rotation chooses which way (clockwise or counter clockwise) increases the values.
    Exposure Comp allows you to assign that to the front or rear dial instead of Fstop or SS.

My settings are
    Assign Dial F (front) SS (rear)
    Rotation as default
    Exposure Comp rear dial.

So when I'm in A, the front dial controls fstop and the rear controls exposure comp.
    When I'm in S, the front dial controls SS and the rear controls exposure comp.
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What exactly are you looking for with Live or Constant Preview? A WYSIWYG? If so, you could try reassigning a Fn button to Preview. One will show DoF, the other actual exposure (not up-gained)
  4. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    @bassman: thank you for the tip, up to frontbrearndial changing i had it allready, but now i got it set up the same way.
    Only question now is, can i change what the push in rear wheel does ?
    Can i assign a function to the push in rear wheel im M mode ? I didn't find it anywhere so therefore a lot of my questions are of understanding nature i.e itnis like that because of this or that. Or if u wanted this u'd have to go for oly or a different lumix model

Any tips or ideas on the wierdictures i keep getting of that fair booth ?
  5. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Yes i am kinda looking for what my nex did. When opening up the lense i would see how blury everything gets in the background or how sharp.
    Now the preview shutter speed i assigned already, just wondering why this constant preview is available in M mode put not in A or S ?

Does Oly or other Lumix cameras offer this ?

And again, any idea on those two booth pictures that are looking just so horrible ?
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You can assign a function button to provide depth of field preview. It is not set up by default because when stopping down the lens, you hamper the viewfinder's ability to refresh. Look in your manual.

With regards to the blurry photos, I'd assume that the camera metered for the light sources, not wanting to blow them out. Perhaps if the camera had achieved focus, it might also have metered better.
  7. Duque

Duque Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Yes I assigned this already, just curious if there is a reason why it can be enabled in M Mode to always be on but not in A or S Mode,
    The tip with the metering I will try, realized that for those shots it must have been set to full metering or what it is called (not at the cam right now)
    will try the same shot with spot metering this weekend.

Thanks and regards