1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Trying to shrug off GAS!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Eternal Newbie, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Hi all I decided this year I will improve my kit & take more photos (very poor haul from 2015). The improvements I plan are more lenses starting with the Oly 45mm 1.8. Oh and upgrade my Metz 36 to a Nissin i40
    But then... I read up on the Olympus EM-10 and started to wonder about my Panasonic G3... the higher flash sync speed is tempting; when I use fill flash outdoors on bright days I constantly find the 1/160 speed a big limitation and never seem to be able to get the wide aperture I'd like. So the 1/250 flash sync and the lower minimum 100 iso seem to be a big draw.
    Grr... I wasn't meant to be changing my camera too! I'm telling myself if I use my polariser as an ND I can get back the wider apertures I want with outdoor flash, but now the GAS is calling me.
    There should be an Acquisitors Anonymous self-help group to stop people wanting cooler kit![emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

2. Let me help slightly. The E-M10 doesn't have ISO100. It's a pulled ISO200 - just do it in post. The faster sync speed is useful but I wouldn't think it matters for a bit of outdoor fill, as surely you're getting the i40 because it does Super FP mode flash? At apertures like f/1.8, you'll be in Super FP mode more often than not in the sun at either 1/160s or 1/250s.

For normal flash, I would say a polariser is insufficient. Even the E-M1's 1/320s sync and 1/8000s isn't going to cut it for f/1.8 in midday sun in summer where I live... Last time I used my YN560s outdoors during summer I used a polariser and stopped down to at least f/5.6 - fortunately I needed the DoF as they were multi-layered group shots. If I wanted to get wider apertures I would have needed at least an ND4, maybe even ND8.

For serious flash - just get some plain NDs... they don't cost that much. Otherwise, prepare to pay mega bucks for Super FP mode high GN flashes.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  3. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Excellent thanks! I actually have a 5x ND so I can look at trying that.
    Although living in the UK at the moment the idea of sunshine is a bit of a joke, or at least a distant memory.
    I'll have to read up on Super FP mode

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    There only one cure for GAS - indulge it until you realize more equipment doesn't matter. Then when you come out of your counter "one lens for everything reaction", you'll be normal.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.