1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying to shrug off GAS!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Eternal Newbie, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Hi all I decided this year I will improve my kit & take more photos (very poor haul from 2015). The improvements I plan are more lenses starting with the Oly 45mm 1.8. Oh and upgrade my Metz 36 to a Nissin i40
    But then... I read up on the Olympus EM-10 and started to wonder about my Panasonic G3... the higher flash sync speed is tempting; when I use fill flash outdoors on bright days I constantly find the 1/160 speed a big limitation and never seem to be able to get the wide aperture I'd like. So the 1/250 flash sync and the lower minimum 100 iso seem to be a big draw.
    Grr... I wasn't meant to be changing my camera too! I'm telling myself if I use my polariser as an ND I can get back the wider apertures I want with outdoor flash, but now the GAS is calling me.
    There should be an Acquisitors Anonymous self-help group to stop people wanting cooler kit![emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Let me help slightly. The E-M10 doesn't have ISO100. It's a pulled ISO200 - just do it in post. The faster sync speed is useful but I wouldn't think it matters for a bit of outdoor fill, as surely you're getting the i40 because it does Super FP mode flash? At apertures like f/1.8, you'll be in Super FP mode more often than not in the sun at either 1/160s or 1/250s.

For normal flash, I would say a polariser is insufficient. Even the E-M1's 1/320s sync and 1/8000s isn't going to cut it for f/1.8 in midday sun in summer where I live... Last time I used my YN560s outdoors during summer I used a polariser and stopped down to at least f/5.6 - fortunately I needed the DoF as they were multi-layered group shots. If I wanted to get wider apertures I would have needed at least an ND4, maybe even ND8.

For serious flash - just get some plain NDs... they don't cost that much. Otherwise, prepare to pay mega bucks for Super FP mode high GN flashes.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  3. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Excellent thanks! I actually have a 5x ND so I can look at trying that.
    Although living in the UK at the moment the idea of sunshine is a bit of a joke, or at least a distant memory.
    I'll have to read up on Super FP mode

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    There only one cure for GAS - indulge it until you realize more equipment doesn't matter. Then when you come out of your counter "one lens for everything reaction", you'll be normal.

• Like Like x 1