1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Trying to decide whether to move to a social media platform

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by imahawki, Jul 30, 2015.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    So I've used Zenfolio for about 6-7 years now. I like the way I can "nest" albums as deep as I want to group photos. I'm not a working photographer. The only reason I have the site is to share photos here (previously on PotN when I shot Canon), and on a non-photography forum that I run, as well as for my family and close friends to view pictures of my kids and events family events I photograph.

The photos I post are about 1/3 candid family stuff or vacations, 1/3 portrait work, and 1/3 "art" photography like still life, landscape, wildlife etc.

The "challenge" I'm pondering is, no one in my family cares about my "artistic" photography and none of them go and really browse my site. I send them links or post a gallery to facebook when I upload family pictures. So I thought about moving everything to flickr so I can interact with other people more. Follow some people and eventually maybe garner some followers. I'm not looking to get famous, I'm not going to abandon my primary career and become a photographer so I don't necessarily want to create a portfolio that only contains my top 1%. But the flip side is, no one on flickr probably cares about the random family shots I take at the childrens museum.

So here's where I'm at. Either 1) stick with Zenfolio, 2) migrate to flickr, or 3) keep one site for your family photos and a separate site for your "portfolio". #3 doesn't appeal much to me. The only thing I don't like about flickr is the photostream concept and the fact that you can't organize photo sets within groups like you can on Zenfolio. If I do get some shots that garner some attention and someone clicks on my photo stream and the most recent shots are my kids at the circus, is that going to be a turn off to someone looking at my more artistic work?

Long and rambling I know. I think the fundamental question is one I'm probably not alone on... how do you separate your "artistic" photography from your snapshots... or do you even try?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It seems to me that you've got two potential audiences for your "work" which are best served by maintaining two different platforms. As you say, there is very little or no crossover between these two groups.

If you're looking to simplify, you could consider dropping Zenfolio and just upload your family snapshots directly to Facebook. For your more "artistic" photos, share them on Flickr or 500px.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I liked zenfolio. And the cheapest plan is like $2.50 a month. I actually only cancelled and moved to flickr because my work blocked Zenfolio with their webfilter, but still allowed flickr. Now 3 years later, they finally blocked flickr, too.

Really I just try to post my better stuff to flickr and keep that higher quality. I was uploading my lower quality stuff or random lens tests, etc, to photobucket, but honestly I rarely even bother anymore. Happy snaps I just share on facebook or email them to the interested parties. Good stuff goes on flickr. I try to put together a "top 200" photo album or photo book every year of just the family snapshots for my own archival purposes and to let grandma look at when she visits.

4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I use various internet sites for different audiences.

For photo sharing to friends and family:
    - Dropbox Carousel
    - Google Photos
    - Flickr (using the private setting) However, Flickr is mostly used as a photo dump site where I can link photos to other sites and forums.

For sharing to the photo community:
    - EyeEm
    - 500px
    - Personal photo blog (Wordpress)

I also use other platforms such as Instagram and VSCO but I don't upload on a regular basis.

5. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    You guys are making sense. Maybe I'll ditch zenfolio at this point (I really don't see the need even though I like the structure) and do two flickr accounts, one for family and friends and one for "photography".

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Or you could do your personal one on photobucket. They have some cool new features like "stories" that are pretty neat for photo sharing with friends. It's also a bit easier to organize using folders and the like than flickr.

7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    FWIW Life is too short for facebook and I dislike the flickr presentation. There are a lot of better sites.

8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree with DeeJayK. If your friends/family all use Facebook, it makes sense to keep share those photos there. This also allows you to keep them somewhat more private - not as open to anyone being able to see them (Use Facebook privacy tools.) Then you can use another site to host the more art photography. Flickr does allow for the social media aspect.

This is essentially what I do. Both Facebook and Flickr have their problems, but they are where the people are.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This ;
    If you're desperate for the phone-tappers to see your family pics you've got to get the pics onto Facebook. Nothing else even comes close.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think the OP and others would value your opinion on what other sites you consider better.

11. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    OK.... but I don't have much experience with the other possibilities. Just that fb doesn't appeal personally. Nor flickr visually nor for navigation.

I think Zenfolio is one of, if not the best. Not sure if any other site would serve the OP any better. smugmug and photobucket are OK too. I don't have much experience with any others. Setting up a wordpress site might work too.

12. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Another question. Does anyone use sites where you upload albums like jalbum? I use the software and host my own albums to share with family and friends.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've created some similar "roll your own" sites in the past (e.g. here), but I've found the maintenance tends to be too much of a barrier to keeping it going (due to my own laziness, not because it's necessarily so onerous).

I just saw something similar recently which leverages Google storage. You basically just upload your photos to a folder on your Google Drive and they show up online. It's called LightBox. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks dead simple.

14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    TBH, I quick browsed through your Zenfolio site and it doesn't look like moving to flicker or other social site will gain you anything.
    Your largest galleries are about family activities - and, imo, there are too many pictures to ask people to browse them. I understand that you love them all, but everyone else has too little time and too short attention span nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    500px allows folders or collections or whatever they call them there, but not in free accounts.

I'm wondering if Google Photos will, for free?

Barry