1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying to decide on E-PL2 or ???

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by AR-Trvlr, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AR-Trvlr

AR-Trvlr Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2012
    Chamblee GA
    Hi All -

I've been interested in the micro 4/3 cameras for a while, and I'm getting close to making the plunge.

I'm leaning towards a E-PL2, but not 100%. Cost is a factor, but I'd also rather buy one / cry once.

I did a lot of B&W photography while in college years ago with a Pentax K1000 SE, but it's been inexpensive digital cameras and my blackberry for the past few years...

Anyway, thanks for what seems to be a great community.

2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I own one with about 6000 shots on it. My observations.

1. The best .JPGS you can get, great for portraits
    2. Will give you noise if you attempt to recover shadows (not uncommon)
    3. Great ergonomics, feels good in the hand
    4. Built in flash which can bounce.
    5. Well documented "red dots" when pointed at the right angle into the light. (I've seen this about a dozen times.)
    6. Produces overall excellent photos, you can view my site for examples they are all E-PL2
    500px.com/dcassat
    7. While some say they have issues focusing in low light I've rarely had an issue with this.

Hope this helps!

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    x2

Somehow, overall, the best balance for features/feel/price/performance IMHO.

...and a helluva bargain these days.

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-PL1 is $150-200 less expensive, has worse ergonomics, but a bit better jpegs
    pl1-2.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't get that model now unless you really like it for some specific reason like handling . It is practically 2 generations behind now. EPL3/EPM1/EP3 are all much faster with new processing. any day now new models will be announced which should be even better.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    But on the other hand, I just bought an E-P1 and prefer the heft and construction quality. Apparently it has a slightly bigger chip and better dynamic range. With a 14-42R it focuses quite adequately. Only my E-P3 rivals it, and the like new E-P1 was $140.00!

These posts are all our opinions. We all come to them honestly, none are right or wrong.

New isn't always better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As I began writing the post I was going to say that the E-PL2 doesn't seem to present a really compelling value at this point in time. You might find a used E-PL1 for around US$130 (body-only) while the E-PL2 is more likely to be around US$200 [these prices are based on recent sales on US eBay, prices will vary in other countries]. But when I started to look at what you get for that 50% premium, the E-PL2 starts to look like it's perhaps a better bargain.

Major differences between the E-PL1 and E-PL2:
    • E-PL2 has a slightly larger LCD with twice as many pixels
    • E-PL2 has an extra control dial; E-PL1's UI is very menu-centric.
    • E-PL2 has a more ergonomic (for some) grip
    • E-PL2 offers slightly snappier performance
    • E-PL2 max. shutter speed is 1/4000 (v. 1/2000 for the E-PL1)
    • E-PL2 offers marginally better high-ISO performance and higher max. ISO (6400 v. 3200)
    • E-PL2 allows use of some accessories (e.g. PENPal Bluetooth) that won't work with E-PL1
    • E-PL2 allows remote operation (with added remote), while the E-PL1 cannot be triggered remotely
    • E-PL1 has a weaker anti-aliasing filter which can result in improved IQ
    For a feature breakdown of all the available :43:, you can check out this spreadsheet I created a while back.

After making this list, I'm beginning to consider looking for an E-PL2 to replace my E-PL1 as some of those features (particularly the improved LCD and extra dial) seem like they'd be worth $70 to me.

Basically either of these cameras is a great way to get started with :43:. If you've held on to any of your K-mount lenses, they can easily be adapted to work with any :43: body and with the Olympus bodies you'll have the added advantage of in-body image stabilization with any lens.

In short, take the plunge. These cameras (despite being a "generation" or two behind) are very capable and a lot of fun.

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Every potential buyer needs to decide if the improved speed, specs and ergonomics of the 3rd generation Pens and the OM-D are
    worth the slight, but noticable sacrifice in jpeg image detail resolution.
    em5smear.

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I had an E-PL1 and bought a used E-PL2 as a back-up. At first I was using the E-PL2 most of the time, because of the small ergonomic improvements over the E-PL1. Then I started using them about equally again because of the way I was leaving them set up with different types of lenses. Lately I'm back to using the E-PL1 more often because the magnify button seems to be positioned a little better for pushing while I'm looking through the VF-2 (I'm left eye dominant so the 1/2" farther to the right and up really helps get it out from under my nose).

10. AR-Trvlr

AR-Trvlr Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2012
    Chamblee GA
    Thanks for all of the comments - I found a gently used E-PL2 through this post, and will see what I think of it.