Trying to decide on a lens

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
I’m trying to decide between two lenses to add to my kit. I’m interested in both the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye and the Laowa 7.5mm. I like the price on the Rokinon better new and used but there aren’t a lot of used Laowa lenses listed. They both look sharp, I like the ability to use filters on the Laowa and MF isn’t an issue. The only thing that is weighing on me is the defishing on the Rokinon. The images in the thread look great but is there anyone out there that has both of these lenses? What are your experiences with both? I’ll be using this for mainly landscapes but you never know what else might peak interest either.

Gavin E

New to Mu-43
I have both lenses and rarely use the fisheye now that I have the Laowa. The small size of the Laowa makes it easy to carry around just in case.

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
I think the fact that there aren't many used Laowa 7.5mm for sale tells its own story, nobody who has one wants to get rid of it, they all say little gem.
That’s what I was thinking also since it’s newer. Just saw one on eBay for $400 buy it now. Nice to have multiple lenses with 46 filter thread also.

The Dream

Mu-43 Regular
I have both, and also the Panasonic 8mm. A bit of a comparison here:
https://microfourthirdssite.wordpress.com/2017/07/31/m43-travel-lens-3-panasonic-8mm-f3-5-the-ultra-wide/

Yes, they're both sharp. Many will tell you that although they're manual lenses, ultra-wides are easy to focus. But you shouldn't take it for granted. If you try and be creative and have your foreground close, you'll need to decide what depth-of-field you want and where your focus should be. That's why I later got myself the Panasonic 8mm...

Yeah. The fish-eye effect doesn't work all the time. So the rectilinear Laowa is much more heavily used for me.

Not sure how you would use it for street photography, but I think I would need to get too close to my subjects for the type of shots I like...

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
Agree with @stagor about there being a reason so few Laowa 7.5mms are available: they're great!

If your desired end-product is rectilinear, I'd go for the Laowa over defishing the Rokinon. Because of the cropping/stretching that happens with defishing, I think it would be hard to compose with the Rokinon with defishing in mind. With the Laowa, what you see is what you get and you can compose freely.

If you're looking for a mixture of fisheye/rectilinear UWA, or just want to experiment with ultrawide and are unsure how much fisheye/rectilinear you want, I'd try out the Rokinon. If you like the fisheye for a good portion of your use cases, great. OTOH, if you find yourself constantly defishing you can always sell the Rokinon for a small loss and buy a Laowa later.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
For landscape you could go either way, but a true rectilinear lens gives you a bit more flexibility in composition without having to deal with the fish-eye distortion from tilting too much.
I don't own the Laowa, but do have both the 8-18 and 7.5FE. I use the 8-18 a lot more.

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
I’m looking into the Laowa 7.5 more and seeing if any camera stores near me have the 9mm on hand to look at also. Thank you

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
Going to play with the 12-40 at 12mm for a while and see if I still want something that wide after a month or so.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom