1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying to decide on a 24/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Feb 3, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Ever since I sold my OM24/2.8 I have been thinking of picking up another 24. I quite like the focal length as an adapted lens but the OM24 never really did it for me (I've had 2 of them). A while back I had a Hexanon 24/2.8 that I really liked despite it being HUGE. Right now I am looking at picking up another Hexanon or perhaps the well loved Rokkor-X W 24/2.8 (reported also lived a double life as a Leica R lens as well).

Any thoughts?

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    The only legacy lens I still use much is my beloved Sigma Super-Wide II, 24mm f/2.8. I love it not only because it's sharp and contrasty, but also because it's a semi-macro lens. Great for product and food shots. It's not HUGE, but hardly compact either, especially with the adapter.

3. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I have a couple different flavors of the 24mm but I would say my favorite is the Industar-69. Not because it is the sharpest, but more so for the size and rendering in B&W.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I just got a very nice Industar 61 and I have to say that I think I don't really care for it. Both the Industar and my Jupiter 8 remain largely unused because of the fact that you need to be about ten yards away form something to get it in focus (okay maybe not THAT far). Is the Industar 69 similarly far sighted?

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I have heard similarly wonderful stuff about the Vivitar 24

6. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    As you know the wider the lens the harder the focus at distance, but the use of my VF-2 and a good eye :) I get great shots from it.

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I just acquired a second Minolta MD 24/2.8 (a late one, no Rokkor designation) and I've got a Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24/2.8 as well. Both are good on a GH2, but not great and the late MD 24/2.8 seems to have the edge over the older Rokkor in corner sharpness although I tested it superficially so far. Both are not very sharp in the corners even when well stopped down. My late Minolta MD 28/2 is certainly better and even the MD Rokkor 28/2.8's are better. I'm sure I'll keep a bunch of 28's but eventually the 24's will go, also because 24mm on a GH2 does nothing for me, a matter of personal taste of course.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have no doubt that they are CAPABLE of great shots.

I assume that the longish close focus distance has to do with the fact that the Industar 61 and Jupiter 8 are RF lenses. I can walk around with my OM 50/1.4 and get within about eighteen inches (maybe less) for some nice semi-closeup work. But the closest I can get with the Industar 61 and the Jupiter is 8 is about three or four times that. It's a bit of a disappointment as the Jupiter and Industar are such small lenses and fit the E-PM1 well in terms of scale. What I want is something more like the Pen F 38 or 40 (then again we're looking at 6 or 7 times the cost). I suppose I just need to take it for what it is and not complain about what it is not.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I also have the Sigma Super-wide II. I use it mainly for macro shots, very nice close focusing and great color. If you look in my gallery you can find some macros of flowers taken last summer. Nice, sharp lens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    So it is true about the sigma 24/2.8

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

11. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011

You might be able to remedy this by adding a shim between the adapter and lens so it doesn't screw down all the way. I think a lot of adapters are made intentionally short to ensure every lens will reach infinity focus, but this has the side effect of increasing their closest focus distance as well.

I got one of those cheap 25mm 1.4 c-mount lenses, and it focused far past infinity initially, but after shimming it with some bits of plastic I cut out the furthest focus became just barely past infinity and it was able to focus several feet closer. As long as it focuses some distance past infinity right now you should be able to get some close focus back in this way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's an interesting thought. I'll give that a try.

13. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Ive been googling for some sigma 24mm/2,8 ii superwide mount m42, and it comes with nil, mostly in pentax,minolta,etc. Anyone got the info?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Ep-L1

14. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Have you thought about the UBER tiny (looks like a joke really) Pentax 110 24mm? It's fixed aperture at 2.8.

15. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Read about it, it only fit with certain pentax, 110 for sure. Dont think its sharp enough, you might wanna checked the pentaxforums for pentax lens review

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Ep-L1