Trying the new 100-300mm lens.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by bilzmale, Mar 6, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

At Lake Monger (5km from the CBD). Used the GH1 and 100-300mm lens.

Our swans are black.

A mudlark - he kept walking out of the frame.

The obligatory duck shot.

Finally a 4-shot pano of the lake. Forgot to lock the exposure so some banding in the sky.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The water is especially nice in the duck one.
    What amount of zoom were you using on those shots?

We have both kinds (m.Zuiko 40-150)!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

All birds at 300mm; pano with the 17mm.
  4. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi Bill, like you I am enjoying my 100-300 as well. Great lens for that reach and IQ.

5. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    nice shots. I must say that the duck seems the sharpest of them, the swan and the mudlark seem rather soft-ish.

Did you take them handheld?, any pp after?, your in-camera sharpening value?
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

All handheld with OIS and PP in LR3 with standard sharpening - no added in-camera sharpening. The lens does 'waggle' a bit at full stretch and a mono/tripod would assist.
  7. I shot the Panny 100-300 on an E-P2 at Hagerman Wildlife Refuge this weekend. Used a monopod with stabilization set on IS3. All shots were soft. But then I do not have the steadiest of hands. IS3 is stabilization in the horizontal plane as I recall. Shooting was from the drivers seat, winds were about 20mph gusting.
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

In general IS should be "off" when using mono- or tripod. Quote from this review.

The GH1 uses optical image stabilization, offering three image stabilization modes. Mode 1 employs image stabilization at all times when the camera is in Record mode, and Mode 2 only uses the system when the shutter button is pressed. Mode 3 compensates only for up and down movements, to allow smooth horizontal panning. Of course, stabilization can also be turned off altogether, using a switch on the lens barrel. ​