Trying some macro shots (still learning)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by PeterB666, Aug 22, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have learnt some good stuff today.

1. There is some merit in autofocus macro lenses (and I don't have one).

2. Even a 50mm 2x crop lens (100mm effective) focal length isn't long enough.

3. I am great at fuzzy macro shots (but somehow I don't think that's quite right).

4. Unlike pre-dawn seascapes, you generally don't get wet, drown or freeze to death taking macro shots.

I thought I would still share my collection of shots with you even though I know I have a long way to go with this sort of stuff.

[​IMG]
    Pansy by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Purple Pansy by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bee on Daisy by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cherry Blossom by peterb666, on Flickr

Not sure about that last one, whether the subtle hues work (kinda looks olde worlde), or whether I sould tart it up a bit. May do that and see how it looks. The colour is actually fairly accurate (I think).

All of these shots were taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus OM 50mm f/3.5 macro lens. A mixture of hand-held and tripod stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Peter,
    My experience suggests that auto focus is somewhat unreliable for macro work, I preferentially use manual focus. I've settled on 105mm lenses for most of my close up photographs, which more often than not involve insects. Looking good for first efforts, keep it up.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  3. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
  4. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks. I think you may be right regarding the focal length. I just had a lot of trouble getting focus while others I was with were using Tamron 90mm or Nikon 105mm lenses on 1.5x crop cameras were managing a lot better then me.

If you have time on your side, MF if fine but things like bees keep moving from flower to flower. Hand-held, when attempted, adds to the difficulty.

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    [​IMG]

A little lucky with that one, but it can be done, hand held, pre focused.

[​IMG]

Another hand held, manual focus, ok it was pitched on the leaf.

Neither shot is cropped

• Like Like x 2
  6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Barrie (if I may be so bold) are those taken with the Sigma 105mm ? Which adaptor do you use btw?

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    pdh, you may indeed be that bold :smile:.
    Yes a 4/3 mount Sigma 105mm f/2.8, the adapter is the lumix 4/3 to :43: (DMW-MA1) which preserves the auto stop down feature, but not the auto focus, which I find to not be any problem as I much prefer manual focus for close up work.

Barrie