Trying Mac photos app. Workflow suggestions?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by zathras, May 2, 2015.

1. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Hi all

I am a DxO user and am trying Photos app for purposes of cataloging my Raw files and keeping my finished files on my iPhone etc. current workflow is:

Import using Image Capture
    Geotag using exiftool
    Import raw files into offline photos library
    Select images to edit using Fav button
    Export selected originals
    Run through DxO
    Import finished files into main photos library where I then put in albums etc and watch them (slowly) upload on my 5/0.5 Mbps net connection

Currently I keep my master files offline so they don't clutter up my online library and also so I don't have to upload them all but I am having doubts about whether this all is the wisest way to use this software. I could always add everything to my online iCloud Photo Library and just use the hide button for the raw files or only add the finished files to my various albums and ignore the fact all my images are doubled up.

Any thoughts? Am I insane doing this? On the upside, photos seems to not do a bad job with E-M1 raw files. I suppose i could just use the photos app editing controls for everyday editing, they do seem all whizzy and shiny.... I especially like how when you move the Light slider it brings the exposure up but at the same time pulls the highlights down so they don't blow out, that covers 75% of my editing right there, going back to moving individual sliders in DxO feels like we're living like animals....

Cheers

Chris.

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If you have to ask....:coco: :laugh1:

Use LR as you DAM/library. If you want to use Adobe raw converter, fine. If you want DxO Optics as a plugin to do all or some of the raw conversions, fine. I use DXO for some special images, not all my keepers. Much depends on the image. BTW, DxO returns a DNG to the Lr library. If I need to do more with the image than can be done in Lr, I send the image to Perfect Photo Suite, do the edits, and get a smart PSD file back in Lr that reeditable.

As for both iPhoto and Photos, leave them for causal snapshot taker who typically does not eve know what a raw file is. There is a reason that iPhoto and Photos are free.

My workflow
    copy raw images from card to /Pictures/import on my internal SSD. Use PPS Browser to quickly identify and delete the rejects. Then tell Lr to import the remainder into /Pictures/2015. Lr will create a subfolder for each day of images. I may do some initial processing depending if I have travel time..etc. When I get home the daily subfolders at /Pictures/2015 are moved via Lr library module to my external main library drive /Pictures/2015. There any final edits are made with Lr and PPS, prints created ...etc. As soon as the daily subfolders are moved, I tell Time Machine to backup the entire file system.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I always thought asking 'am I insane' was the sanest question but there you go. I was using LR but for several reasons am trying to avoid it. Among other reasons I object to paying $10 a month in perpetuity just to have a DAM

4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Having all of your finalised files in cloud storage with zero effort would be really handy and in my opinion is a killer feature of Photos, I'm just hoping that editing features will be restored to Aperture levels in the future, then I'll change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I am really enjoying being able to access any of my finished files on the go. I hate sitting up at a desktop computer editing, I sit up at a bloody PC all day for work and i want to relax at home so I would love to be able to use my iPad for more photo work. Especially enjoying being able to take my files that DxO has processed and run them through iPad photo editing apps

• Like Like x 1
  6. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Did you have to upgrade to a larger iCloud plan or are you starting a new library for the new workflow? That's another thing that's holding me back... €9.99 per month maybe isn't that much on the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot more than free!

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am an Aperture user who has been using Photos lately. We just spent 5 days in Seattle and I have some thoughts. I have uploaded some our photos that I share with my wife. Sharing is not perfect since Apple only allows one account, their shared folder system is just OK. Editing on an iPad is just OK, I used Snapseed as well. We let the Photos geotag the photos and not the Olympus WiFi. Olympus WiFi so, so very slow and it does not download full resolution. The SD card reader dongle is much faster. Between my wife and I we took ~ 700 pictures, JPEG + RAW. They uploaded to the iCloud pretty darn fast, I just downloaded them and forgot about them. I have the 500GB cloud plan, not wild about paying for it since I also have a 2TB Dropbox plan. Photos is still a work in progress, I am hoping that they will add features to it over time, like Apple did with FCPX. Until then, I have LR on my Mac and I am learning to use it for some of pictures. I am still working out how to organize the LR library.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Then purchase an Lr 6 upgrade for $79 which is $6.58 per month assuming Lr 7 will arrive in 12 months. If Lr 7 is coming in 18-24 months yo will have paid even less per month for Lr6. If you think Lr/CC is expensive, look at Capture One Pro.

Please let us know when Photos will do a HDR or pan merge of raw files into an DNG file. For that matter, let us know when Photos can invoke a plugin like Aperture could.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I have my iPhoto/Aperture library "well" organised, all the way back to photos taken with a Sony Mavica floppy disc camera in 1997 and I really don't want to have to change! Here's hoping Apple will improve features in Photos and bring it back to Aperture-like functionality. If they already know how to implement the features, it can't be that much work!!

10. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    If you're going to be snarky you could at least read my post first... I was referring to iCloud.

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  12. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Yes those would be nice features. I use Enfuse currently so no need for hdr but panos would be nice certainly.

It's not that I think CC is expensive but if I upgrade every 2 years I think it works out twice the price of buying it outright. Anyway if we are talking about using LR for a DAM I really don't like it for that purpose.

13. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I've been using Photos since its release, ported all of my library (over 57k pictures) from iPhoto, and am trying to get comfortable with it as both an editor and DAM. Since I'm coming from an inferior program, my expectations may have been more easy to satisfy than most. I've also consciously avoided more complex and expensive software because post processing is not where I want to spend my time and money in my photography development right now. If that handicaps me somewhat, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. Still, I hope it is true that Apple and/or 3rd party developers will add extensions to Photos. That way, I can develop more advanced photo editing skills as new capabilities come online with a base software I am already familiar with.

That said, I have my doubts about Photos.

As an editor I am not sure certain tools are doing much, such as sharpening and noise reduction, even compared to iPhoto. I'm also not confident its RAW editing capabilities are as good as they could be. I am contemplating using Olympus Viewer 3 for RAW editing, and importing the processed files into Photos afterward.

As a DAM tool, there are a lot of things I want to be able to do with it, but can't figure out (this is slowly changing as I get more familiar with Apple in general). For example, I want to be able to take advantage of Cloud connectivity. I like the idea of being able to download my photos in the field on my iPad, maybe do some light editing and posting, and have the images already in my library. That would beat coming back from a two-week vacation and having to upload, sift through and process 3k pictures. :hide: Being able to show off at least a percentage of my library on the cloud with my iPad sounds nice too.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I open the images I just shot in Perfect Photo Browser which is very quick. I select which photos I what to import. No way I need to keep every image I shot. I then tell LR to import the selected images and it runs the default import preset that does adjustments, fills out my copyright data...etc. I can then select any images and put them into a collection. I tell LR to export the collection as jpg into a folder. I tell iTunes to synch the folder to my iPad. All of that I can do in the field where there is no internet...no cloud needed.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  15. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I agree about the editing, I am used to DxO and the editing controls are definitely not as good in Photos, but good enough for 90% of what I do so I can't complain too much. Hopefully they fix a few things going forward though.

I have spent some time with Photos now and maybe I can help with your questions.

If you want to have your photos in the cloud and synced to your iPad, you need to first realise that you can't selectively sync - it's either everything or nothing. In Photos, go into Preferences and firstly make sure your photo library is the System Photo Library. Then in the iCloud tab of prefs, enable iCloud Photo Library. That's it. It will slowly upload, if you don't have enough space it will warn you before uploading anything and allow you to buy more space. Then in your iOS devices you need to enable iCloud Photo Library under iCloud in Settings and then any photos you upload will just appear on the iOS devices and any edits will sync instantly.

One thing I noticed is I had a very slow, flaky internet connection for a while, Photos did not like it at all. I also noticed that even when I got my 100/20mbps link, sometimes the upload would stall and I would have to quit and re-open Photos to get it to resume. I strongly suggest keeping an eye on the Network tab of Activity Monitor as it is uploading.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chris

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1