True sync speed of GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LowTEC, Jul 8, 2014.

1. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Hi forumites, I am thinking about upgrading to GH4 from my well used EM5 for work purpose. One of my bigger concern is the actual sync speed, which a flash is essential for my daily event shooting work. With my FL600R, my E-M5 doesn't sync to 1/250s as quoted (only OEM tiny flash can sync at 1/250), as it can only sync to 1/200, which is kind limited for run and gun style event shooting. I have also discovered that the EM1 doesn't sync at 1/320 either, with the FL600R it can only sync to 1/250s. I am wondering if any of you have experience shooting GH4 with a flash like FL600R or FL360L, and see if it can sync to 1/250 as quoted without using FP/HSS mode. This is one of the deciding factor for me and will be greatly appreciated thanks

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The truth is the E-M1 can easily sync at 1/250th of a second... it can easily sync at 1/320th of a second... even 1/400th of a second isn't a problem for any flash I've tested so far. Only at 1/500th of a second does banding start to occur.

Olympus limits the camera to low speeds, why? who knows, it certainly doesn't need to be limited so harshly, all it means is I resort to using a manual flash and doing the math in my head using guide numbers rather than the somewhat unreliable TTL, once you've memorized them it really isn't that hard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

It is great to know that the E-M1 can sync to 1/400 with manual flash as my E-M5 can only sync to 1/250 in manual. In reality, I much prefer and only use manual flash in studio shooting, it gives much more reliable result that way, though the sync speed wouldn't be a big concern in studio setup. But for run and gun event /candid shooting, it is next to impossible to use manual flash, specially with the extremely fuzzy turning dial of the FL600R, going in the menu in camera is not specially quick, and my camera dials are already occupied by the aperture and EV compensation functions, thus I need TTL and fast sync to combat a dim back ground in one scene, then zooming in to my next subject in a second or 2 with a bright background

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Yeah, I really do get it. I love TTL when it works, but the limitations of it mean it's less useful than it should be. If I could enable a mode where it ignored xsync and you could push the shutter to whatever you wanted, but you had to accept the limitations of banding, I would take it every time.

In regards to the manual controls, that's one reason I'm REALLY REALLY excited about the new Nissin flash, have you seen it's controls? it has WHEELS, no buttons, no stupid LCDs, actual physical controls. I've ordered one already just to test, if it's anything close to how user friendly I hope it will be I'm going to order more to replace flashes with stupid menus that have everything hidden in a second level menu(I'm looking at you Metz), I'm too old for touch screens and some flashes seem to operate in a different language...

http://www.nissindigital.com/i40.html

I wish there were an easy solution, I'm not sure one really exists, but I hope you find something that works.

5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Anyone else has experience using flash with GH4?

6. neelsd

neelsd Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Roseville, CA, US
    GH4 sync up to 1/250 with the FL600r, both in TTL & manual model.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Thank you for your confirmation, I will definitely save up for the GH4!