Troubleshooting problem with E-M10 - what's going on?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WendyK, May 12, 2015.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I have an E-M10 that I bought in February 2014. In the last few days it has been behaving strangely. While using the camera, usually right after a shot or when I turn the camera 90 degrees into vertical orientation, the EVF and back screen will go black - all that shows up on the rear screen are the numbers at the bottom that indicate shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp., etc. except the aperture number is blank. At the same time it goes blank, the camera makes a sound similar to the noise when you turn the camera on or off and the IBIS sound disappears if it is active e.g. on half press of the shutter.

Often the camera returns to normal if I just tip it a bit or return it to horizontal, but the behavior usually comes back after the next shot or if I turn it back to vertical orientation. I noticed that sometimes when this happens I will see an "MF" for a moment in the black EVF, and sure enough, if the SCP comes back on (it sometimes does, even if the EVF is still blank) the autofocus setting will say "MF" even though I generally have it set to S-AF+MF. Most of the time, but not always, turning off the camera and turning it back on will restore it to normal for a while and reset it to S-AF+MF. Sometimes I have to turn off the camera, unmount and remount the lens, then turn it on to restore things to normal.

This behavior happens no matter which lens I use (I have tried five). It is intermittent, but frequent, and happens several times at least each time I have been out in the garden with the camera. It seems to happen less frequently in bright light, but that could be coincidence.

Any thoughts about what the problem might be, or things to try before sending the camera to Olympus?

Thankfully I bought a GX7 a while back to try when it was on a great deal, so I have a backup camera.

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It sounds like it is linked to the lens mount and/or the lens release button.
    Check your holding position to rule that out, and check all the screws holding the lens mount down are fully tight and that all the row of contact pins inside are springing up the right amount.
    If there is an intermittent bad contact between the row of lens-to-body contacts all sorts of weird stuff happens!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    That's a good lead...I already have been trying to be conscious of my holding position to rule that out. I will check on the screws. Thanks.

4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I agree that it sounds lens related.

You could just try removing the lens and powering the camera up (this will work) and then rotate the camera as before to see if it makes any difference.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Screws are tight and all pins look OK - I carefully cleaned the contacts and will will take the camera out later and see if it is still happening. I couldn't reproduce the problem with the lens off in the time I had. Thanks!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Does sound like a body-to-lens communication issue to me as well.

7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Quick update - after I had cleaned the contacts on the camera I used it last night and the behavior only happened twice (far less than previously), which led me to believe you guys were right about it being a body to lens communication issue. I did a more thorough cleaning this morning, including the contact areas on all my lenses and I haven't had the problem since. Thanks to all!

• Like Like x 3
  8. CamR

CamR New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2015
    Cameron
    Hi WendyK - does that fix still work? I've got a very similar problem with my OM-D EM1. I'll turn it on and it's blank straight away, or take one photo and then it blanks out for what seems an eternity. I then have to try and take a number of blank photos with long exposure times (as the camera thinks it is dark) and then it eventually comes good. But then I turn it on the next day and I get the same issue. It's almost like the camera needs to "warm up" before it works. I've tried cleaning the contacts as mentioned above without success. Pulling the lens off the camera doesn't appear to affect the camera (except for a very blurry image), so I'm thinking that the contacts aren't the issue.

9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Hi Cam,

I have not any further problems since making sure all contacts on all my lenses and camera were clean. It sounds like your problem has different symptoms, though.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FWIW - I find that those alcohol micro-fiber lens wipes that you can find in Walgreens, CVS, etc., work great to not only clean your glasses (but not lenses), they work great on the contacts in the field as well. We had a similar issue which was resolved the same way.

11. CamR

CamR New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2015
    Cameron
    I've found it is the shutter that is staying closed and isn't lens related. I've posted a video here: .

Looks like it's off to the repair shop...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Do you have more than one battery? I had an issue very similar to yours and it turned out that one of my batteries had gone bad . . .

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. CamR

CamR New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2015
    Cameron
    I have 5 of them all fully charged. That was one of my tests after a bit of Googling.