Trouble with EM5... possible user error

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Christopher, May 15, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    I should preface by saying that I shoot predominantly automotive so I don't know how much interest there will be here...

That said I own my current Olympus EM5, Panasonic GF2, and Canon 5D. For automotive things I typically use my trusty 5D with an 85mm attached. Recently I thought I'd try one of my shoots with the EM5 and the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and ran into a problem.

Shooting only part of a car everything is nice and sharp, in focus etc. When I put the entire car in the frame and take the photo it's as though the lens is back focusing or something because the subject is no longer in focus. Now I understand it could be me, but if so, what is happening here? With the 5D I focus with the center AF point and compose. I do the same with the EM5...

Is there any known problems about this combination of body and lens I am unaware of? User error? Settings that are suggested?

Here's a couple photos of mine to sweeten the pot... Thanks in advance for any help.

[​IMG]Bryan's Rocket Bunny FRS by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

[​IMG]MINI MOTO LAB by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

[​IMG]Misha 2.0 by Chris Johnston, on Flickr
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It might be the lens/body combination playing up for some odd reason. Theoretically this shouldn't happen with CDAF! I've had this happen with my old E-M5 and 45mm combination, where with the smallest AF point it ends up back focussing repeatedly on the same problematic subject, and re-engaging S-AF didn't help. It happened very rarely, and disappeared as soon as I rebooted the camera or switched lenses out. Never happened with any of my other lenses either, nor on the GM1 when I had it, nor my current GM5 and E-M1.