Trouble with EM5... possible user error

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Christopher, May 15, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    I should preface by saying that I shoot predominantly automotive so I don't know how much interest there will be here...

That said I own my current Olympus EM5, Panasonic GF2, and Canon 5D. For automotive things I typically use my trusty 5D with an 85mm attached. Recently I thought I'd try one of my shoots with the EM5 and the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and ran into a problem.

Shooting only part of a car everything is nice and sharp, in focus etc. When I put the entire car in the frame and take the photo it's as though the lens is back focusing or something because the subject is no longer in focus. Now I understand it could be me, but if so, what is happening here? With the 5D I focus with the center AF point and compose. I do the same with the EM5...

Is there any known problems about this combination of body and lens I am unaware of? User error? Settings that are suggested?

Here's a couple photos of mine to sweeten the pot... Thanks in advance for any help.

17194227095_380e9fbdf3_b.jpg Bryan's Rocket Bunny FRS by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

15771203554_062c8fe650_b.jpg MINI MOTO LAB by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

15577964645_f5e770fd68_b.jpg Misha 2.0 by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

It might be the lens/body combination playing up for some odd reason. Theoretically this shouldn't happen with CDAF! I've had this happen with my old E-M5 and 45mm combination, where with the smallest AF point it ends up back focussing repeatedly on the same problematic subject, and re-engaging S-AF didn't help. It happened very rarely, and disappeared as soon as I rebooted the camera or switched lenses out. Never happened with any of my other lenses either, nor on the GM1 when I had it, nor my current GM5 and E-M1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.